Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex XL roll back question and where to buy lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zparras

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Graflex XL roll back question and where to buy lenses Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I just bought myself a Graflex XL with a 100mm Tessar lens and it came with 2 backs (6x7 and 6x9). I already own a Century Graphic with the same two backs so now I have 4, which is really handy. I am still waiting to see the results from the 2 rolls I shot, so I can’t tell you how well this camera works yet. The camera is in really nice shape and feels really good hand held. Also the shutter speeds look and sound good, even the slow ones and the focusing feels very smooth and precise. I also leaned that Mamiya RB67 Graflok roll film backs can also fit the XL and the Century. I think this is really cool, especially since the film flatness problem the Graphic backs can sometimes have. I like the idea the Mamiya backs include a 645. I would like to know what other brand have well made backs (that fit the XL) that are not too expensive.

I have read some threads and the manuals for the XL but I want to be clear on one thing that I’m not sure of. When you change lenses, does the frame in the viewfinder also change for each specific lens? I know it has a frame for only the 80mm, 100mm and the 180mm lenses.

The lenses I am interested in are the 58mm Rodenstock Granagon and one of the 180mm telephoto (there is a Zeiss Sonnar f4.8 and a Rodenstock Rotelar f4.5). Other than Ebay, are there any online camera stores that usually have any XL lenses?

Thanks in advance and so far this is a really cool camera and I am already planning traveling with it.

Zissis Parras
ropedog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: XL lens soure Reply with quote

Ebay is the most likely source for XL lenses. The 180 and 270 pop up occasionally.
The 58mm is quite common but often in 'as in' conditon.
I had to purchase 3 different 58mm to get a working lens. One for a shutter, one for the front element and finanlly a third for the rear element. Ebay has a 58 right now with ok glass, but trashed shutter.

Good Luck
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second what's been said, do disagree a little about 58 Grandagons with separations. I have one that has separations in both cells that look awful but it shoots well enough for me. Yes indeed, my standards may be low.

So if you get one with separations, give it a try.
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey zparras
I don't know what frame you are talking about but the lens barrel
has cams for the ranger finder. but it don't do me any good as my
XL don't have a ranger finder to start with

banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: