Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens Manufacturers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronrut B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Lens Manufacturers Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering who made the original type of lens for Graflexes. If you don't get what I meen, I meen like you can use any lens on a graflex, but what did the cameras sell with? Also on some of the lens boards, there is a little thingy that looks as if it is a tube about 1 inch long, and connects to the shutter. What is it for, and what is it? here is a lens board with one on it.

http://www.camerabooks.com/Images/Products/CS-CameraStuff/CS1202-IMG_8515%20rsz.jpg

I hope you can help!!

Thanks!
Ronrut B
1banjo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ronrut B
As to what lens it all to do with what Model & what year as to what lens it came with!!

as to the thing on the lens board its a Solenoid
flash bulb Sync Solenoid to trigger the shutter at the right time
when the flash bulb is at it brittest
it is not need for Electronic Flash!!!

banjo
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollensak was the major supplier of lens to Graflex for Graphic cameras. Early Graflex SLR's used Bausch and Lomb and Kodak lens. Later (newer) cameras came with Rodenstok and Schinder lens depending on the camera model. Any lens could be ordered or mounted post purchase that the customer wanted.

Any lens that can be mounted on the camera can be used to some degree.

The solenoid was used to trip the shutter in sync with the flash bulb being fired in the days before flash sync was built into the shutter.
See: http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1453

The solenoid used in conjunction with a battery case (flash) to electronically trip the shutter.

Last edited by 45PSS on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the 101/4.5, 105/3.7, 107/3.7, 127/4.7, and 152/4.5 Ektars, Charles?

Graflex bought lenses from B&L, Kodak, Wollensak, Rodenstock, and Zeiss for Graphics. They bought lenses from B&L, Kodak, Taylor Hobson, and Wollensak for Graflexes. From Norita, Schneider, Rodenstock, and Zeiss for the XL. In shorter focal lengths, Wollensak was the low priced alternative.

I'm a little surprised that I can't think of an Ilex lens that was original issue on a Graflex product, excepting perhaps an aerial camera.

Leaf shutters came primarily from Wollensak and Kodak.

And owners have indeed mounted all sorts of unlikely lenses on Graphics and Graflexes. Cameras that have interchangeable lenses and that don't have a proprietary lens mount invite users to do this. Press and view cameras must look like complete anarchy to people used to small and medium format SLRs.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Press and view cameras must look like complete anarchy to people used to small and medium format SLRs.

Yep, but I never thought of it quite that way. All of my 35 cameras are Minolta (3 camera bodies---SRT-101, XD5, X370), also most of my lenses (too numerous to mention, although I will point to the rare 35mm shift lens as one of my prizes)---as well as a dedicated 35mm slide/neg scanner (Dimage Scan Dual IV). The Minolta camera and lenses of course have Minolta's bayonet mount, a very reliable piece of design engineering, but a problem for lens interchange. But why bother? Minolta lenses are among the best, at least on a par with Nikon [he ducks as bricks are hurled in his direction]. I rue the day that Minolta abandoned the consumer camera side of its business.

As for medium/large format, my main experience, favorable on the whole, is with Optar lenses in Graphex shutters. The only other example was a problematic Kodak-made shutter, which I returned to the seller (Columbus Camera Group; no reflection on them, I purchased a mint 203 Optar from them, and it has proven its worth many times).
Ronrut B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all!!!
bruiser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan Fromm,

Ilex shutters/Paragon lenses were standard issue on the Signal Corps PH-47F Anniversary Speed Graphic and the lenses only on some Graflex K-20 aircraft cameras. Not sure about the similar K-25 camera as I don't have one.

Voigtlander lenses were also available on early Speed Graphics.

Cheers,
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: