Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back exchange on Anniversary; screw holes out of alignment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Back exchange on Anniversary; screw holes out of alignment. Reply with quote

I'm trying to change the back on my anniversary speed graphic but it turns out the screw holes are mildly out of alignment. It looks like there might be a way to realign the holes (on the camera itself) to match up with the new back, probably by removing the leather covering on the camera and moving the brass screw "receptacles" (nuts?), which look like they can be accessed for this purpose under the leather.

But before I chew up my nice old speed graphic and destroy the original finish, I'd like to know if this is the right way to do it or not. The back I'm trying to put on is a pacemaker or crown graphic graflok back; the holes are basically in the correct place - it seems like they are just a little bit off due to slight variations in manufacture (of the anniversary speed graphic - the graflok back is cast metal and should have little variation).
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf

The Pacemaker Graflok Back should be a direct fit onto the Anniversary Body. If the Graflok back is not lining up check it against the Anniversary back to verify that the screw holes are the same. Check the camera back for anything that may be blocking the fit, check the inside of the graflok back for anything that may be blocking the fit.
Warning:The screws that hold the back onto the body are different sizes. Using the wrong size screw can damage the back or Focal Plane Shutter.

According to the Anniversary Service Manual the screws for the Pacemaker back are different from the Anniversary screws and the Pacemaker screws should not be used.

Edit: strike out-There are NO brass inserts for the screws from the factory: end strike out. The body is Mahogany, the covering is XXX Moroccan leather.

For striped screw hole repair in the body cut a 1/8 inch long piece of round dowel rod the size of the hole, round tooth picks work well for this, dip it in wood glue, press it into the striped hole and allow the glue to dry for 30 minutes. Take a sharp pointed object such as an ice pick and make a start indentation into the dowel where the center of the screw is to be then insert the screw and tighten. For bigger holes/screws use a pin vise and a numbered drill bit to make a start hole.

Last edited by 45PSS on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
walter23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response and for the links to the service manuals.

I am certain that the screw holes are not in alignment when a magnesium Graflok back is properly seated on my anniversary body. I do think that this is weird, because they should be built to a well-defined standard, but I've verified that the back is in the correct position (judging from it's alignment with the rest of the body), and the screw holes are slightly off. Strange.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your private message inbox.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: brass inserts Reply with quote

Be very careful of stating absolutely what Graflex did and didn't do. If you look at the second photo of this auction on ebay you will see very plainly,A War time anny with brass inserts in the body to hold the back on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130477328944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5707wt_1110
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the brass inserts
A. standard for a period of time? If so what time frame?
B. a military only modification?
C. a special option?

Was the back standard or was there a special one for the brass insert equipped cameras?

Any mounting tips???????????
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the military got many military only options when it came to the body, at least during WWII. Since the military was the lions share of the production, it just made sense to make them all the same. There are a few exceptions of course, like the triple red dot view finder.

Just as a gut reaction, I want to say this was probably a war time conversion, I'd have to look back on my pre war cameras to see. Needless to say, these cameras used machine screws. The back was undoubtedly a Graphic back and I really wonder why they would change the position of the holes, but from this thread it sounds like they might have.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and how many pages of that over due new book do you have to rewrite?
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this particular event, only three
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a 3x4 and fairly early, (about 1941) and I can see the tabs under the leather in the top, so maybe this wasn't a military change afterall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-3-1-4-x-4-1-2-Speed-Graphic-Tessar-150mm-/150553162099?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item230daaf173#ht_3956wt_876
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pre-Ann with that tell tale oval on the top? Curiouser and Curiouser!
http://cgi.ebay.com/foler-graflex-speed-graphic-camera-3-25-x-4-25-vintage-/290524962563?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item43a4a31f03#ht_1901wt_1110

second to last photo
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well........... that service manual I linked above shows the back plate screw to be a #2-56 3/16 inch long which suggest brass inserts were the standard on the Anny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: