Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance /DOF scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex Journal and GHQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Distance /DOF scale Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone submit a photo of a Distance/DOF scale so that I can use it as basis to construct my own. My Anniversary Speed Graphic has never had one.
I have looked at a lot of photos on the net but none have been taken at the angle were I can see the scale. The lens is a 135mm Xenar once I know what it looks like I can construct my own by using distance posts.
The other Speed Graphic I owned had one but I have forgotten what it looked like.
I don't know if it showed distance and depth of field or just distance.

Many Thanks John Mason
Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help for the distance scale

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Variety-Graflex-Crown-Speed-Focus-Scales-/260674420124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb167fd9c#ht_500wt_1121

Now Graflex never used a DOF scale that I know of, but they did print DOF tables, mostly paper, but the military did put metal versions on their cameras from time to time.
John Mason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks I will refer to your link . I have been looking up bits and bobs to restore the originality of my camera I have sourced a tubular finder and I am looking for some chrome trim and found some ground glass for the focus screen . I've used this camera for years I seem to recall that I used to own a quarterplate Speed Graphic that had a scale.
John Mason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous Thank You Very Much ! I have added it to my watch list but wont be bidding to soon in case I lose it. I got this camera in the 1960s when I was a young press photographer and coudl not stretch to a Rolei which everyone else were using it should be a cinch setting it up . I will start from infinity and set up the other distances by focussing on white marker posts set at the required distances. I also notice there is also a DOF scale

Thank You Very Much again
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if your just need a way to do DOF you mite like the one at

http://www.darkroomagic.com/DarkroomMagic/Camera.html

that you can print out he also has Zone Dial & Zone Scale
for Pentax Digital spot meter

banjo
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as DOF tables are concerned just do a search engine search for DOF calculator and select one of the many that come up in the results.
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS316&q=dof+calculator&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CwnxPOzCuTN_aIKaQoASD_LmdAwAAAKoEBU_QUP5U

I use an older version of F/calc (1.14) which has many variables that can be changed, not perfect but close enough to be useful ( I find distance discrepancies of about a foot between dof and hyperfocal tabs ).

Last edited by 45PSS on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Mason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1banjo wrote:
Now if your just need a way to do DOF you mite like the one at

http://www.darkroomagic.com/DarkroomMagic/Camera.html

that you can print out he also has Zone Dial & Zone Scale
for Pentax Digital spot meter

banjo
Brilliant Thanks I will have a look
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex Journal and GHQ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: