Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

top mounted rangefinder question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Hanes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added a Pacemaker Speed Graphic to my collection.All is going well except I have no Idea about how the rangefinder is supposed to communicate with the little bracket on the bed focusing rail. there is a black rod device just behind that bracket but the plunger (if thats what it is seems to be stuck "in" and doesnt press against and follow the bracket)Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is this a cable or what exactly??

thanks a bunch for this site. Its my lifeline.

Ron

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that plunger should move in an out and follow a stop on the rails, IT's probably bent.

Now as many people on this list know, the best way to ruin a top mounted rangefinder is to remove that plunger while your at the beach or in the kid's sandbox, because that tube is filled with steel balls and rods (alternating). Send everybody to the movies or set the alarm clock for 1am get a shallow baking pan or even an 8x10 dev tray and pull off the plastic collar over the tray. take a look at the rod and straighten where necessary and reassemble.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is possibly another reason. The cam inside the camera body may be missing. There is a photo/graphic on my web site that shows this setup. Some viewers may not like me posting the site again but it is only because I want to be helpful. Okay, on web site click 'Graflex Directory'..... link. The photo/graphics are at the end of the list.
http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto
CharlesC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cam were missing, I would expect the plunger to be extended with some spring pressure behind it. When depressed, it would have no effect on the rangefinder mirror.

When I first received my crown, the plunger was rather flaccid. I thought its balls had been removed. After some self-education and manipulations, I discovered the cam was lodged against the rangefinder actuator arm at it highest point of travel. A flick of my fingernail remedied the situation.

Since the plunger won’t extend, it sounds like it’s possibly obstructed, as Les said, maybe bent.
extraparts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure it is possiable to disassemble that plunger system without loseing at least one ball. The god of camera repair just requires one. And if you do, and don't realize it, the rangefinder will be off.

Now that you know the right way to fix it, you may be interested in the wrong way.

If you can alternately push the cam and plunger back and forth, you just might get by without taking it apart. Try some lighter fluid and graphite about 15 to one, and drip it into both ends and work it back and forth. (the lighter fluid evaporates and leaves the graphite.)

I fixed a Super Graphic this way once, and I can't see what would be hurt. (don't smoke at the same time)

Neal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: