Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long should it take to repair a damaged shutter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
victoria

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schneider Kreuznach 135mm lens (circa 1950) will not shut between 1 second and a 25th of a second. My camera repairman has had the lens for six weeks and claims it is an extremely difficult repair because the lens is old and parts for the shutter are very hard to find. He refuses to give me a definite return date. Is this reasonable, or should I be skeptical?
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's this imaginary triangle and at each corner is "quality,economy,speed" below it is the statement, "pick two"

If he's good and he's not expensive, 6 weeks isnt' bad. Then again he may be stalling because he doesn't have parts.

Try calling Steve Grimes http://www.skgrimes.com

and see what he has to say.
JoePhoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more important to know what kind of shutter the lens is in. It seems people confuse the lens and shutter. I think the above mentioned technician can get three triangle points in most cases.

Kim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a person who markets their services as a repairman should in six weeks be able to honestly tell you

1. That he has diagnosed the problems

2. What he has diagnosed

3. Or....and i say this in all seriousness....that he hasnt had time yet to look at it.

I do not see any advantage in the repair business to "stalling" honestly stating that you havent worked on it yet to me is much preferable.

Some things to consider, ask him which parts he is waiting for and what functionality they will restore. In other words you may decide that it is not worth the time or extra expense to get the self timer working if the rest of the shutter is functioning reasonably well.

good luck

Kim Hartshorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: