Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

camera for beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsilver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: camera for beginner Reply with quote

Hi

I am looking for a camera for my daughter. She wants to get into photography and at the moment uses my Canon powershot but I want to get her camera for xmas, something not too expensive but that will encourage her.

Hope this is the right section to put it in.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, its as bad a section as any other.

But why do you want to get her a Graphic? Is she interested in using film at all, and if so does she want to learn how to control the photographic process? Does she even have the idea of a process that can be controlled?

I ask because years ago when my wife and I both used Nikons a lot, and before I got my first Graphic, our daughter, aged perhaps 14 at the time, asked us for a camera. I was cruel, didn't ask her what she wanted to have or to accomplish, decided for her that she needed to learn the process. So I gave her an inexpensive Soviet-made TLR. Completely manual, forced the user to be in charge. She hated it, wouldn't use it, was mad at me too for a while.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless she REALLY wants the film processing/ darkroom experience, get her a nice compact DSLR. The freshman class at RIT were gettng Nikon D40s / D50s.

I got into film processing and darkroom printing because it was the fastest way to get a good photograph. If my mentor had forced me to "learn the ropes" and started me out by learning wet plate, or even flash powder, I probably wouldn't have liked photography.

Some people like to express their creativity in clay sculpture, other in marble.

Some photographers prefer silver, others sand.

Les
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: camera for beginner Reply with quote

I would first ask her what she likes and dislikes about the camera she is using, then find out what type of photography she is interested in.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAAAM !!!

Check link at bottom of first post.

jane walker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you should ask her what camera she wants. And when you got the chance to find the perfect one for her, then show her first and let her decide. Besides, buying a camera which she doesn't want would also waste your effort in going for the cheaper one. You could look through amazon.com, maybe you could find one. Good Luck!

Happy Holidays.

chiropractic marketing
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special rates for San Diego Graflex owners needing chiropractor service ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: