Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for focusing loupe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldblue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings fellow Graflex enthusiasts. I just
received my first LF camera, a 4X5 Crown Graphic Special, about 2 weeks ago. I've been lurking here for a few months and I've got a bag full of (dumb) questions.

Right now, I'd like to find a focusing loupe that I can use with the folding hood in the extended position. It's a handy gizmo and I would rather keep it installed to protect the GG screen. As well, one of the hood retaining clips is munched and I don't want to damage the other clip or drop the hood as a result of installing/uninstalling the hood to focus with a loupe.

So what I need is a decent loupe of perhaps 4X power that is tall enough to reach a depth of about 4 inches. Or, maybe a loupe with a 'high-eyepoint' design that doesn't require my eyeball to be glued right up to it?

I would assume 4X power is sufficient for critical focusing. I was monkeying around with some cheesey 8X ones I have lying around and I got a very good view of the pattern on the Fresnel screen.

Anyone with hands-on experience with some of the better loupes out there that would like to comment? I spied the Rodenstock Aspheric 4X today at the local retailer and have been thinking about this one. For a high quality loupe, it's actually quite reasonable here at $149 CDN. I don't see the Schneider loupes at that particular store anymore.

I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.

oldblue

I should have known, someone has already posted this question before. Mea culpa.

oldblue

[ This Message was edited by: oldblue on 2002-02-19 23:17 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a good question. I've been fumbling around with an el Cheap-o 8x loupe for years now, and would sure like to find a decent, affordable (!) loupe for use with my Century's folding focussing hood. My eyeball(s) are getting tired.
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say from the experience of many loupes, except cheap film types. But when I asked the very same question, the reply was for the Toyo 3.6x. It's only about 40.00 new (or as high as 60 depending where). It's just the same length as the folding hood and perfect for the Graphics. I love mine and plan on buying a second one. Maybe not the best? But it works for me and the price can't be beat. I wear glasses and don't see so well close up and the Toyo works great for me with or without glasses. And from what I've seen, B&H has the best price... I'm sure other can speak for the better loupes...
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the toyo too, it was also made by omega. I also have a Fuji loupe that they gave out with the proof of purchase of 80 rolls of film. It looks like the old design of the Schneider and is amazingly good. I think B&J or Adorama was sell them (obviously without the Fuji name) This one's just under 3" so it'll be a little more difficult with the hood than the Toyo.
oldblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the well informed responses. I came to the conclusion shortly after posting the question that the Toyo loupe would be the way to go.

oldblue
Digimassa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, sorry for this question, but how do you fix this toyo to the hood?
martin
Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't. The Toyo loupe is longer than the hood, so you hold it between finger and thumb put it in look through it and focus.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-22 16:06, Les wrote:
you don't. The Toyo loupe is longer than the hood, so you hold it between finger and thumb put it in look through it and focus.
On topic, but not to the point, do any of you use an Ednalite Magnifinder?

Cheers,

Dan
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who recommended the Toyo 3.6x loupe: many thanks! I ordered one from B&H (@$39.95) and couldn't be more pleased---a real quality item. It actually makes the 65mm Optar almost easy to focus! And it works with or without eyeglasses.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome but now when anybody asks about loupes, it's your job to respond
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just knew there was a catch....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: