Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any actual press photographers here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In such a group of owners of the quintessential
press camera, there's sure to be at least a few newspaper photographers...

I'm one. I'm finishing up my first semester with the top college newspaper in Texas, and just starting a summer job* at the "real" newspaper--got my first photo published there yesterday. I don't use the Graphic for either; the News-Journal is all-digital, and I didn't get it until after the last paper of the semester at school. I plan on going back to the same school next semester, though, and I'll use it then...

*--a classmate in my photojournalism class is a part-time photog at the News-Journal, and he's going away for the summer and got to pick his own replacement (me).

[ This Message was edited by: Baker on 2002-04-30 21:49 ]
dkt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be one, more or less...had a short stint...I'm in the NPPA still, and that's a great organization to belong to if you're just getting started in the business....btw, I started as a stringer in high school with a largish evening--then morning--paper...this was in the early to mid 80's and my assigned gear was one domke bag with 2 Nikons--an FE and an FM with a motor drive. I carried 4 lenses:24,35,85, 180. and a 283 flash and used one of the early quantums. I also had a Norman 200B strobe that I used for shooting night football etc. We shot all tri-x, and developed & did our own printing using Kodak Royalprint processors. As a stringer, I usually shot prep football & basketball, some spot news & alot of grip & grins, and features...A typical friday night for me was to drive to the next county and shoot the first quarter of a football game, then run back to the lab & process the film, pick out the shots, make my prints--write the ID info--stick the rc print into a selectric typewriter & type right on the back of the print--the cutline. Then I'd stamp the crap out of the thing--my name, the edition, etc. and thgen run out to deliver it to the editors...it took me about three hours to do this. When I started they told me not to come back until I'd shot at least 4 rolls of film....I'd shoot 'em in like 15 minutes or less because I was often so far away from the paper...btw, I shot with a Nikon FM, synced at a 125th, with Tri-x and a 180mm f2.8 Nikkor and that 200 ws Norman. My exposures would be f8...that strobe would throw light for half the field practically & keep up with a motor drive....a couple of years later I got a job at a dinky bi-weekly paper that had zero for budgets....we had maybe 200 feet of film for the entire year. I shot football games out in the boonies, where the editors gave me a 12 exposure roll of film and a 283 with no battery packs and said to cover the game....the fields looked like they were lit by kerosene lamps...I'd shoot Tri-X with direct flash, and push it to 1600 in Diafine, and it would still look like crap. Then, we printed the shots onto pre-screened Dupont PMT paper & burned the plates for the press right off that...

The big paper I worked at part-time, still had some staffers who'd been there for 25+ years, and those guys used speed graphics and Rolleis for a good part of their careers...they told me all sorts of stories of covering football games "with one holder"--standing out on the fifty yard line & shooting one sheet and then enlarging this to get about 3-4 images out of it. I saw the negs & it sure looked like they could do that...I print some of this stuff occasionally--like a shot of Choo Choo Jusitce at the Rose Bowl in the 40's...it's just like this...a super loose 4x5 with all this action--all on one sheet. I remeber messing around with an old Rolleiflex from the equipment room...I was on a lunch break & came upon an accident...I shot it as spot news with this Rolleiflex and ran back to the paper & processed & printed it....I was showing the shots to this old timer and said something like "can you believe I did this with this old thing??" he smiled and said something sarcastic about using them every day....

oh well....times sure have changed....fwiw, I shoot events & gov't press functions now as well, but for a gov't...same sort of work, very little difference in fact. Only we still shoot chrome film & Tri-X.....and everything else is shot on 4x5.

Check out the NPPA, or a local state chapter,it's a great organization.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: