Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bag mag septum stuck halfway problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosaiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Bag mag septum stuck halfway problem Reply with quote

I did a search using a number of phrases but came up empty. If this has been discussed I'd love a pointer to the right answer.

I just received two 4x5 bag magazines and they both have the same issue: If I pull the handle to raise the septum only partway the septum gets stuck in between where it cannot be grasped nor pushed back down. By partway I mean enough that the bottom of the first septum raises and allows the next to slide forward, but not far enough that I can grasp the raised septum and retrieve it, nor can I push it back down. Looks like about an inch or so.

The only way to clear the jam that I can tell is to pull the back off (or remove the lens and go through the camera) and push the second septum back and then doing a little song-and-dance to get the first one to go back down (or pushed all the way up). That or unload all the septa. Neither of which is conducive to film conservation. If I pull it all the way out the way it was intended everything is fine, so I don't think there's any sort of mechanical problem with the magazines.

Is there a trick involved other than "If you're going to do something have the good sense not to do it halfway"?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have the answer. When you want to change the septum, pull it all the way back. If you stop in the middle of this operation, the next septum will be rising into place and you probably won't be able to push it back in. Check to make sure the septums are placed in the magazine facing the right direction. If they're backward it can cause jamming. Open end faces away from the bag. Make sure none of the septums are warped or bent, even a little. That can make them useless. Make sure the slide pulls back smoothly and all the way. It can be lubed with wax. No oil or grease. Some bags are lined with wool(?). Check that there are no snags or holes worn in the liner, if it has one. This will catch the corner of the septum and it won't pull back all the way. Good luck. I love these bag mags.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Bosaiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The septa and bag are in great shape, so I guess it's just a matter of technique. I like them as well, but this is going to be the death of more than one piece of film - I can feel it.

Thanks!
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bosaiya,
I found practice is the key. I had a lot of trouble with my first bag mag, so I sat down and practiced with 12 empty septa until I could change through all of them smoothly. No trouble after that.
There's a nice scan of the original bag mag manual on photo net which I found very useful:
http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Ibmj
Bosaiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Billy. A member had emailed a copy. It can be comforting to know that the problem is no with oneself, it can also lead to more frustration at times. Fortunately forewarned is forearmed and I have yet to jam a holder with live film in it. Of course there's always a first time.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With limited internet access via my computer where the info is, I check PM's infrequently and post even less these days. At least for the next few months, the jpeg version is 82kb and the tiff version is 1.4gb., leave a pm with your email address and which version you would like and I'll eventually send it to you.
Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: