Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash connector adapter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pv17vv

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Flash connector adapter Reply with quote

What is the exact name of this ?

http://cjoint.com/?fovvsaAxg6

Still to be found somewhere outside auction ?
alecj

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an ASA to PC sync cord adapter. The large end fits over the ASA (commonly known as the Kodak, or bayonet) fitting, and the small end provides a female plug for a normal PC male cord fitting.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a gizmo like the picture, although it makes a lot of sense. You probably know that you can have Paramount make you up a cable with one of those connectors on each end ( http://www.paramountcords.com ).
alecj

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These became popular because Kodak's attempt to encourage the industry to come over to its flash connection system failed. Too bad, actually. A cord plugged into one of Kodak's bayonet posts is far less likely to accidentally pull out than a PC cord, but the public didn't go for it.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alecj says the ASA (commonly known as the Kodak, or bayonet) is much less likely than the PC to pull off should the sync cord get snagged on something. I learned this the hard way in the early 1950s having to pay a steep repair bill when a snagged cord resulted in the post tearing out of the shutter on my Kodak Pony 135!
I was not happy with the bayonet connection after that and have preferred any connection that will separate without damage in that type of mishap. After all a lost exposure is probably less expensive than a shutter rebuild and certainly less costly than both the lost shot AND the shutter rebuild!

C. Henry
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, my Pony 135 has the ASA bayonet, too, and while I never pulled out the post I can agree that it made a real secure connection to the Kodaflash. I still have camera, case, and flash, but the camera shutter is gummed up and I haven't tried the Ronsonol soak on it because I can't figure out how to remove the optics. It looks like it would be a lot of work, and for what? It's a very frustrating little camera to use because the focus is by guesswork, and the viewfinder is so imprecise. But I took a lot of pictures with it! And it still has the little machined aluminum post cap---imagine a manufacturer doing that today---that is missing on most of the examples I see. You can't give away the Pony 135 today, and I won't throw it away, so I guess I'm stuck with it.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies.

Georges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: