Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow shutter speed, flashbulb and X-synch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Slow shutter speed, flashbulb and X-synch? Reply with quote

Another question from a flashbulb novice. I have a small stash (2 dozen) of no. 25 M-class bulbs. My Pacemaker 4x5 has a Supermatic (X) shutter with a solenoid.
I've posted before about calibrating the solenoid for M-class bulbs, and found out that's something I'd rather not try (flashbulbs being so expensive). To my surprise I found on the box the flashbulbs came in the info that you can use these M bulbs with an X-synch shutter at 1/25 second (and I imagine slower).
Can anyone confirm this? If this is right I'm all set.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct. It takes about 23 milliseconds for the bulb to reach it's peak output. That's just about what it takes the shutter to fully open at 1/25. Since the exposure is determined by aperture for the most part, you should be okay in dim light or darkness. For fill flash in sunlight you would normally set your aperture for the flah and the shutter for the ambient light. I'll let you figure out if that will work with X sync. Good luck.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: