Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dating Graflex flashes...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Dating Graflex flashes... Reply with quote

After reading a few posts in here about the manufacturing dates of the Graflex flashes, which involve different answers, it's time to seek the facts!

The three different models in question are:

A. the original chrome Graflex (which I will call Graflex1)

B. the first aluminum flash, called a Graflite in catalogs but has 'Graflex' stamped in the middle of the handle (which I will call Graflex2)

C. the second aluminum flash, stamped 'Graflite' near the top of the handle (which I will call Graflite)

According to this site's Major Product List the Graflex1 was introduced in 1938. However I have a Graflex price list dated 15 July 1941 and there is no mention of a Graflex flash, only those by Jacobson, Mendelsohn and Kalart, and all available from Graflex. So I'm guessing Graflex1 wasn't available until at least the end of 1941, and continued until about 1948.

Most replies here concur that Graflex2 was introduced in 1948 (this is verified by catalogs) but vary wildly about when Graflex2 became Graflite. For what it's worth I have a 1955 Sears camera catalog and inside is the 'New' Graflite Jr, so as a wild guess maybe the name Graflite was introduced then to the bigger flash to make a family.

So in the interest of accurate history can anyone (Les?) agree or refute this theory???

Cheers,
Bruce
Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you say, as far as it goes but this is Graflex

and it ain't that easy.

Within the Graflex I flash there are two models and two variants of the second model. The first model is shown in Graflex Graphic Photography in the 1st through the 7th edtion It has 5 lines around the ports, and the switch in back looks like a morse code key rather than a neat button.

Your July 15, 1941 doesn't show the Graflex flash, but my August 15, 1941 does.

As to the Graflexlite flash, I've got an August 1948 that somebody has written up all over it, with words like "Graflite"
My October suppliment shows the Graflexlite in place. So Figure Sept. Oct. for an intro.

The Graflite flash is a little harder to pin down. but yes the Jr. and the BC unit came out it '55 so that may be when they changed the name. But it's such a subtle change that catalogs and owner's manuals don't show it.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...thanks Les!

It's nearly, almost, beginning to make sense. As Graflex were so slow updating their catalog photos is does make it difficult to know exactly when they changed designs or even introduced a new accessory product.

Thanks for clarifying the original Graflex versions too. I knew there were two types, but not a third one!

So 1955 seems to be the introduction year of the (stamped) Graflite version. Maybe.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers,
Bruce
Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variation in the second Graflex I is in the bottom. Early ones (including the 'code key' flash, said "folmer Graflex corp" on the bottom. Sometime ((1945?) They changed it to Graflex Inc and added the Patent number.

This is true only for the 'normal' bottoms for the 2 & 3 cell flash. The extensions to make 4 & 5 cell flash units are not stamped at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: