Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-D new owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Super-D new owner Reply with quote

I just got my "new" Graflex RB Super D serial #415537. The camera is a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. I have a couple of issues that I need help with.

First: the camera is extremely dirty both inside and out. There was so much dust on the ground glass that I could hardly see through the viewfinder. Most of the cleaning should be pretty straightforward but I want to know what is the best way to clean the mirror which isn't so bad but it is dirtier than I would like to see.

Second: the shutter operation is very sluggish. The tension was set on "H" when I opened the box and that won't help the springs. What are all the areas that i will need to lube?

Also I would like to know the age of the camera.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be more, but the best spots to lube are the axle bushings on both sides of the camera.

Twas made in '47

I'm not sure if they were putting front surface mirrors in back then or not. If not remove the mirror and clean with windex and nose tissue. I say nose tissue because it will fall apart if you try to scrub, which will scratch the glass. Try to keep the windex off the back of the glass.
brian d

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if relates to this or not but I have a series B that I think is from around 1940 that has a front surface mirror
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I spent the evening cleaning the camera and now I am finding some other issues. This camera has a front silvered mirror that has several hazy spots. What I thought was dirt is really tiny scratches in the surface. I got curious and started reading through old posts and found a thread from 2005 that says "The Book" claims that after 1936 all mirrors were front silvered.
http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=3754

Also I had thought that the lens was just dirty but after cleaning it looks like maybe the front elements are separating.
The camera is now over 90% cleaned up and lubing the rollers and other moving parts has the shutter working much better. I loaded up a couple of film holders and tomorrow I will try a few shots. Maybe I will get lucky and have a user camera for cheap.
Regards,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: