Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

converting Busch Pressman C to accept roll film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevendittmar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: converting Busch Pressman C to accept roll film Reply with quote

Just bought a Busch Pressman C and have read enough to understand it is possible to convert to accept 120/220 roll film. Could someone tell me what I need and hoe to accomplish this? Thanks a million SD
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two solutions have been reported:

Find a 2x3 Graphic Graflok back and replace the Pressman's spring back with it. When I had a Pressman and a couple of 2x3 Graphics I'd tried this and failed, but other people have done it. Good luck finding a 2x3 Graflok back, they sometimes turn up on the great auction site.

Don't do a back transplant, use an Adapt-A-Roll 620 roll holder. These slip in like a sheet film holder, will feed from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. I use AAR 620s with my Graphics.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These choices only apply if your rangefinder is adjusted properly for your lens: A Suydam roll holder can be mounted using the focus panel screws and a couple of small washers. This means you will not have ground glass focus ability.
A Graham (very rare) roll holder splits in the middle and goes under the focus panel. It must be left there until the film is used up, thus no ground glass focusing. There are some other odd ball holders out there but in general, these things are hard to find. I believe Calumet made a slip in holder for 2X3 cameras (????).

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, as far as I know (and we know that's not all that far), Calumet's slip-in holders were all for 4x5. Most have 6x7 gates but there are also 6x9s.

You may have been thinking of the Adapt-A-Roll 620, which was made for 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 cameras.

Season's greetings and all that good stuff,

Dan
Karl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Easy modification of Busch C Pressman spring back Reply with quote

I have been working on an easy method to utilize my Busch pressman C (with the leaf spring back) with more usability for the roll film holder, but that also will allow for the sheet film holder, grafmatic sheet film holder and the ground glass viewer to be used. I wanted something that could adapt to all of them without difficulty and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time or money on it. My apologies to those who might find this an inelegant solution. I decided to try using synthetic cork from a wine bottle. I removed the leaf springs from the camera's ground glass viewer and reattached the screws and washers only on the upper half of the viewer. I then cut 4 pieces of cork to fit the scalloped areas on the camera that were left when the leaf springs were removed. They were shaped more or less like a cheese wedge. The cork pieces barely protrud beyond the scalloped areas. I glued the pieces in place with wood glue and painted them flat black so they would blend in with the camera. It’s a reversible process if one is concerned about returning the camera to it’s original state. I can now fit all of the above-mentioned items snugly on the back of the Busch C and not only is it light tight, I can lift the camera by whichever apparatus used and it supports the weight of the camera.The cork has been in place on 2 of my Busch C’s for a few months now and they have held up nicely. https://pin.it/r2okkuxjfbqv72

Last edited by Karl on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
pmanzari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Busch Pressman Model C Roll Film ? Reply with quote

To Karl:

If I understand correctly, the cork pieces simply hold the backs in place by virtue of it being a very tight fit ?

I have to try this.
kpuls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Busch Pressman Model C Roll Film ? Reply with quote

pmanzari wrote:
To Karl:

If I understand correctly, the cork pieces simply hold the backs in place by virtue of it being a very tight fit ?

I have to try this.

It's fairly easy. I wish it were more technical so I could take credit for some breathtaking advance in photography. The cork pieces are glued to fit in like 1/4 to 1/3 shaped wedges (you will need to do a 'dry run' to see if they're the right dimensions or not.) You want it to be snug but not so tight that it's difficult to remove and replace. I can hold the camera' weight by the roll film holder or ground glass attachment, etc., without risk of it slipping out. Hope this helps.
Karl
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all
the Suydam roll holder had adapters for this you took out the screws that hold on the GG
then put on the adapters ! the adapters can be made it two pieces of metal strap one has two holes the other has one hole . the one with 2 holes is srcew in inplace of the GG then in the secnd hole is a metal screw then the other pieces goes down on top then a thumb nut.
you then can losen the thumb nut & turn out the top piece you then can take in & out the GG
or the Suydam roll holder then turn the top piece back in & titten back down the thumb nut
to hold it in place

1banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: