Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgeet 254mm/10 inch on a crown graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.b.hawkins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shutterless Elgeet 254mm lens designed for use on a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter. Problem is I have a Crown Graphic.

Could anyone recommend a shutter to use with this lens. The lensboard probably doesn't allow for the monsters needed to fit the lens.

I have tried using the lens cap. But with 100 or 80 ASA (sounds better than iso)film it puts me in a speed range that is hard to duplicate by hand. I suppose I could use ND filters to get 4-8 sec exposure times, but this is a good lens for portraits and I would have movement problems.

I can't get a packard shutter inside the bellows, but I have heard of them being externally mounted.

Anyone have any ideas/experince. Perhaps my best option is buying a speed to go with the lens, ubt I have not figured a way to convince my wife of the necessity.

Drop me a note if you shot graflex in Vietnam
r.b.hawkins@home.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.skgrimes.com/sitemap/index.htm

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-20 21:55, r.b.hawkins wrote:
I have a shutterless Elgeet 254mm lens designed for use on a Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter. Problem is I have a Crown Graphic.

Could anyone recommend a shutter to use with this lens. The lensboard probably doesn't allow for the monsters needed to fit the lens.

I have tried using the lens cap. But with 100 or 80 ASA (sounds better than iso)film it puts me in a speed range that is hard to duplicate by hand. I suppose I could use ND filters to get 4-8 sec exposure times, but this is a good lens for portraits and I would have movement problems.

I can't get a packard shutter inside the bellows, but I have heard of them being externally mounted.

Anyone have any ideas/experince. Perhaps my best option is buying a speed to go with the lens, ubt I have not figured a way to convince my wife of the necessity.

Depending on the rear element's size, you might be able to have it put in front of a #3 or #5 Ilex. A big Alphax might also work. I think those shutters will fit on a 4x5 Graphic board.

There are relative scads of #3 Ilex Acme (press-type) shutters popping up on eBay, either removed from oscilloscope lenses or with the lenses in them. Think hard before buying one, in that application the rear of the shutter is not threaded externally, so it can't be mounted on a board the usual way. Mounting one of those requires a custom flange that is threaded externally. Flange screws into rear of shutter, board is clamped between flange and shutter.

Mr. Grimes can make you a cup-shaped adapter whose rear will screw into the front of large shutter. Lens screws into the adapter. And he can make the externally threaded flange too.

Cheers,

Dan
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept my Crown, sold my Speeds and barrel lenses. Now my wife is happy and I'm happy and I have a lot less weight to carry!
r.b.hawkins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is almost as big as the lens board as is leaving less than 1/4 inch of space to the edges. Grimes made some good suggestions, but the total cost was just too close to that of buying a modern lens.

I have decided to go with a packard shutter and front mount it on the lens shade.

If and when I get around to it. I will share the results.

Drop me a note if you shot graflex in Vietnam
r.b.hawkins@home.com
daleraby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another suggestion... on ebay, one can often find Speed Graphics w/o lenses for a good deal less than what you might be expected to pay for a new Copal shutter. The focal plane shutters mostly still work fine.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A speed Graphic boddy w/o lens or lens board runs between $35-$45 or so at a photographic swap meet. On E-Bay you will pay much more than that.
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you get better deals at swap meets, and if you are going to sell put it on e-bay. The only trouble with the only camera show near me is that there is very little graflex stuff, and a lot of 35mm. Russ
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-22 16:41, jdman wrote:
It looks like you get better deals at swap meets, and if you are going to sell put it on e-bay. The only trouble with the only camera show near me is that there is very little graflex stuff, and a lot of 35mm. Russ
Not safe to generalize, Russ.

Not that long ago I got a 100/6.3 Zeiss Luminar at a flea market, sorry, camera show, for all of $25. Front element needs recoated, $175 @ Focal Point. And then I got the Reichert (Austrian microscope manufacturer, not part of Leica Microscopy) equivalent, a 100/6.3 Neupolar, for $18 delivered from eBay. Its in great condition, although the diaphragm is stiff.

Don't know what I'm talking about? That's reasonable, these things are not that well-known. Suggest you do a Google search for Zeiss Luminar.

What it comes down to is that when no one knows what the item is, prices tend to be low. My flea market find isn't engraved "Luminar," but it is one; exact match to one now on eBay, but without shutter, tube, and Linhof board. And Neupolars are completely unheard of; I bought because I knew who/what Reichert was and because it appeared to be a photographic objective. Seemed a good gamble, was.

Getting back to Graphics, in my area (Philadelphia +/- 100 miles, but not NYC) flea market Graphics are usually pretty dear.

Cheers,

Dan
jdman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Point, I have also noticed that the auction items, that are poorly described, and poorly photographed, and sold by persons dealing in all sorts of items do seem to bring as much. I think like most people I have got some good deals, and paid to much for some. I have also received some items that were less than described, but like they say let the buyer beware. Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: