Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex XL barrel mount lenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manwe_sulimo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends

Can the lens elements and the tiny 00 shutters be removed from the large barrel mounts that fit into the XL and attached to standard lens boards for use on other view cameras, say, the Graphic View 2.

I have 3 lenses for my XL, including a 58mm Grandagon, but would like to use them with the movements of the View 2 (and a roll back of course).

Mr. Grimes thought it might not be worth it, but I'd hate for this baby Grandagon to go to waste. I can't yet afford a wide angle for my 4 X 5 and thought I'd take a stab with the little guy while I save up the cash.

Sincerely

DRA
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Nope. Just can't be done.

I'm not sure which other lenses you have, but the Grandagon will cover 4x5 just barely, don't expect movements. I talked to Steve about this and he didn't know exactly what it would take but gave me a price of $200 to convert. I have a drill press and bandsaw in the garage and did it in one evening, for nothing except the cost of the lensboard.
the most difficult part is locating the cable release bracket and the press button. Location is critical. If you don't get it just right, you won't be able to open the lens and fire the shutter without wiggling the lens in the mount.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-02-27 05:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-02-27 05:31 ]
manwe_sulimo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Les

I knew someone's curiosity must've got the better of himself and caused him to take a stab at this modification! Many thanks for the photos.

I was going to use the Grandagon on my View 2 (scrunching up the bellows) with roll film (6 X 7) hoping this format would give me some movement with the 58mm.

And thank you for Mr. Grime's estimate.

It's been fine using my Noritar, Rotelar 270 and Grandagon out in the woods but I need movements and my XL, as you already know, has none.

Thanks again Les

DRAllchin
Les

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go off into the garage with the Grandagon, scrunch up the bellows and measure the distance from the ground glass to the lens board.

Other people can say better but I think the deepest recessed board is only 1/2 to 3/4" and the GV II was just not made to focus a 58mm lens at infinity, It might work or you might have to make a special recessed board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: