Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gundlach Optical Co unidentified folding camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel C

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Gundlach Optical Co unidentified folding camera Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I am from Paris France and this is my first message in this forum
I apologize for very probable language mistakes
I am a camera collector (mainly european foldings) and I recently bought a folding camera manufactured by Gundlach Optical Co (see pics)
My searchs for documenting this item are, for the time being unsuccessful and I would appreciate if you could give me some information about it (model name, date of issuance on the market etc…)
Thank you for any possible help on this matter

Paris France
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daniel.

While it is not easy to tell from your pictures, I think the camera itself is not a Gundlach. I do not believe Gundlach ever made a camera with a pressed metal front standard, which is what your camera appears to have. Also, Gundlach cameras will be identified on the body, frequently by a plate on the front standard. The plate may be ivory or metal. The plate will also give the model name, which is with few exceptions "Korona". Overall, from the limited clues shown in your pictures, I think the camera body is continental.

The lens/shutter is of course Gundlach, evidently from a rather early camera. Note that the cable release is inappropriate, even if it may be used to activate the shutter. A bulb release is correct for the pneumatic cylinders on this shutter.

The standard reference work for collectible cameras, at least over here, is McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras. If you can track down a copy I'm sure you would find it useful. Amazon.com has it.

If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you a photo of one of my Gundlach cameras so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

John
Daniel C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John for this helpful reply.
Searching for the range of camera produced by Gundlach Optical Co, I only found these beautiful wooden made cameras called Korona View, Korona stereo or Korona Panoramic View.

Therefore, you are confirming me the fact that such a folding camera cannot be part of the product range of this company.

I may imagine that the lens+iris+shutter assembly has been bought to Gundlach optical co and installed in a camera.

I may say that the camera itself has some common characteristics with some of the Demaria Lapierre cameras from the same period I have home

Identifying the manufacturer shall not be piece of cake anyway.
There were so many different "No Name" folding cameras produced in the old continent at the beginning of the 20th century that it is often a headache for us to put a name on them.

The lens/ shutter package seems to be a model "Turner Reich" similar to this one that I discovered in a Gundlach catalog from year 1900

Concerning the McK, this great book is as famous in Europe as it is in America and we use it as a reference book from ages.
We only apply some coefficients to correct the estimated prices of the items because considering the current european market, european cameras prices seems to us overestimated and american cameras prices underestimated.

Kind regards

Daniel
Paris France
kayanat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera is advertised in the current TV ad where a guys camera is borrowed by the girls at the party? You know the one where they shoot lots of pics and then slip the camera back before he arrives only to find lots of photos of the girls on his camera. The camera has a short recycle time between photos. What is the brand/model of the camera?

Last edited by kayanat on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m not sure what Aston Kutcher and Nikon Coopix has to do with turn-of the century lenses in France but here's a link (I hope) to one of several commercials Kutcher did for Nikon. on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN8El63N6Mo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: