Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ULTRA FINE Ground Glass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Hobson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: ULTRA FINE Ground Glass Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sort of new to the board. I've been visiting for years, but just recently registered.

I have a 1947 Speed graphic, as far as I can tell from the lens number. I'm currently using a Nikon 150mm, f5.6 W lens. The original lens no longer works.

I've been thinking of getting a new ground glass for easier focusing. I see on ebay a guy making them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180457907351&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What's your opinion. Do you think one of these would be better than the original? There is nothing wrong with mine, I just thought one of these would work better.
Thanks for any input.
1banjo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Jim
new is always better right??no
look I don't know about his Ground Glass
but your 1947 Speed graphic probably don't have a Ektalite (Fresnel Lens)
to me that is more important then ULTRA FINE Ground Glass would be
the best would be get both
I just got some cheap Fresnel Lens Credit Card size to put on my 23 Century's
about $1. each it makes more even light on the Ground glass & brighter
banjo
Jim Hobson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Never even thought of that. Fresnel Lens Credit Card.
My Graflex does not have an Ektalite screen.

Just checked online. $1.95 USD.
Gotta try the Dollar Store in town.
Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultrafine glass you referenced will probably be 1/2 to 1 stop brighter than the original at best.

The best thing to do is remove your existing ground glass, wash it in warm water and dish soap and reinstall when dry. Use only your finger tips to rub the glass and hold it by the edges only. When clean let air dry standing on narrow edge or towel dry with a lint free towel.

Upon reinstalling the ground side goes toward the front standard/lens. Install the clips and screws and run the screws down until the clips just touch the glass and are held by the screws. Adjust position of the glass if necessary then tighten the screws 1/2 turn each in sequence around the glass until they are tight. Tightening one side then the other will crack the glass.

Your glass will be about a 1/2 stop or more brighter than it was.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About adding a fresnel, fine, wonderful, but put it behind the GG, i.e., between the GG and the photographer. If you put it in front of the GG, i.e., between GG and lens, it will put the GG out of register with the film holder.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the inexpensive credit card magnifier thing, and was disappointed. The fresnel lines are very coarse compared with a proper fresnel screen, and it made focussing all the more difficult. I gave up on that approach and simply used the ground glass and loupe until I acquired a Kodak Ektalite screen. I'm still not sure whether the modest gain in finder image brightness offsets the increased focussing difficulty even with this proper fresnel; you're going to see those lines in the loupe no matter what.
Jim Hobson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS: I have been reading the previous posts so the first thing I did was wash the original GG.
Quote:
The ultrafine glass you referenced will probably be 1/2 to 1 stop brighter than the original at best.

That's kind of what I was looking to find out. I can focus o.k. Just thought the newer screen might be a little brighter and a little more contrast.

Henry: For $1.95 I have to at least try it. Curiosity will get the best of me.

Dan Fromm: Thanks. Figured that from the other posts. Now I'm sure. Well, maybe... If I add one to the original screen it goes on the outside between me and the GG.

Thanks all. A lot more responses than I thought I'd get. All helpful. Plenty of food for thought.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows what is in your camera. Could be, probably is the original.
I'd be surprised if you are able to find anything finer than an original post war Graflex glass. Brighter maybe, but probably not finer. And then when you add the fresnel screen you'll get to see all those distracting lines in your loupe, and a have a lined sheet of plastic to add to your GG focusing screen experience.
I imagine it depends on the power of your loupe, and the precision with which you are trying to focus. The only advantage for me with a fresnel is having a lightly more even image for composing and getting focus close with just the eye. I have an original in my Rolleicord which I like, sort of.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I find the fresnel screen kind of bothersome. I don't like seeing those lines. If you use magnification you should see a pretty good increase in brightness of the magnified image. An inexpensive loupe for film and slide viewing is alll you need. There are overly expensive loupes out there, also. A good one to carry in your pocket is the linen tester, available from Edmund Scientific and the auction site, among others. Cheap and effective.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Glenn said. For a long time I used an inexpensive little 8x magnifier, the kind with the clear plastic bottom. Even rigged it up with a neck "strap," and this worked fine on my Century (this was before I got the fresnel). Then I installed the Ektalite and bought a Toyo 3.8x loupe. I can't say that I gained much, if anything. Live and learn.
Jim Hobson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already use a Toyo loupe. When I focus, I can never get a sharp image on the GG. It always looks fuzzy and I'm really guessing as to the focus. I do the best I can and my images are pretty sharp. If I can get the image on the GG sharper, I'd just feel better and more positive about my focusing.

I also tried an 8x Agfa and an 8x Peak. It doesn't seem to get any sharper than the Toyo.
Thanks
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Hobson wrote:
I already use a Toyo loupe. When I focus, I can never get a sharp image on the GG. It always looks fuzzy and I'm really guessing as to the focus. I do the best I can and my images are pretty sharp. If I can get the image on the GG sharper, I'd just feel better and more positive about my focusing.

I also tried an 8x Agfa and an 8x Peak. It doesn't seem to get any sharper than the Toyo.
Thanks

IOW, optically it's a toss-up. The only reason I stick with the Toyo is that its length projects it out further from the ground glass and the sides of the focussing hood, that is, closer to my eye. With the (shorter) 8x magnifier I really had to scrunch up to to objective, which was uncomfortable over a daylong work session; plus, it was harder to hold on to down in the hood.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/327016/Office-Depot-Brand-Full-Page-8/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/109790/Great-Point-Light-Page-Magnifier-8/

Cut with a plexiglas cutter, 32tpi hacksaw or fine metal cutting jig saw. Must be held firmly and not allowed to flex while cutting as it will crack or shatter.

Fresels will not make the image sharper. Fresnels will not necessarily make the image brighter. Fresnels will smooth out the light so that one can see into the shadows.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say your negs are "pretty sharp"? With a Nikkor 150 W they should be excellent. The viewing screen should also show excellent sharpness, worth getting exited over, especially target subject at f~5.6. Some of these later high coverage lenses don't do so good stopped down, but from 5.6 to about f~16 it should knock your socks off. My Schneider 150 Symmar-S, probably quite a bit older, and only single coated, projects images on the GG that are easy to see, easy to focus, and reproduce on film exactly as I see them, excellent.
Ground glass is glass after all and someone could have busted it, and put in something not up to snuff. Changing it out would be a cheap way to start chasing the problem, but I'd hold off on adding a fresnel type screen until you figure out if it is the GG, the lens or what? But I can add that even lenses with cleaning marks, small scratches and worn coatings will usually project a a sharp image even though it may be low contrast and flared. Provided the lens elements are seated properly and with the correct spacing and mounting etc...
Jim Hobson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the GG is not impressive. I can't see a sharp edge on anything I focus on.
The lens I was using is a Nikon 150mm W. Yesterday I tried my 152mm Ektar. There was no difference. BTW: I decided to get the Ektar fixed.

I guess I'll try a new GG after all.
Thirty years ago I worked in a studio. We used a Cambo SC-II. Images from that camera (ones I still have) are tack sharp. I don't recall what lenses we used. That's why I was thinking something is wrong here with the focus quality.

Thanks all.

I've been shooting at f8 through f16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: