Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown focus tube balls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrkess98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Crown focus tube balls Reply with quote

OK...I know it needs either 43 or 68 balls and an unknown number of pin spacers of unknown length and diameter. Trouble is I have zero of either. How many, what diameter, etc??? The guy who sold me the unit said the balls were missing. So no rangefinder. What should I use? I can get these tiny Delrin balls to actually improve the product but what diameter is correct and won't jam?

John Kessler
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the Top RF Pacemaker Service manual available at http://www.southbristolviews.com/ under the Graflex Manuals link.

The tube is a complete assembly and indivual parts are not listed but some of the plungers used do have deminsions listed in the referenced manual.
The Top RF Pacemaker and Super series cameras RF tubes are the same except for the actuator plunger. (bed end).
The tube is as follows: Spring-short plunger end- CAM-long plunger-43~45 balls, 43~45 spacers in ball spacer ball configuration-actuator plunger.

Ball diamater=.1085 inch. Spacer: diamater=.085 inch, length=.106 inch, concave on each end so that a ball and spacer =.205 inch in length.
Measurements from a 43 ball, 43 spacer tube.

Best bet is find a parts body and rob the complete tube from it. Disassemble the tube, wash all balls, spacers , plungers, and the inside of the tube with a degreaser that leaves no reisdue. Coat the balls, spacers, and plungers with extra fine graphite by rolling them around in the graphite. Reassemble the tube using no other luberication. Fine graphite is too coarse/heavy to work well.
jrkess98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Crown focus tube balls Reply with quote

Great!!! The diameter is essential! Finding a 'parts body' probably won't happen soon, so I will go ahead and get the Delrin balls which should move easily without any lube in a clean tube. I guess then just keep adding balls until 'infinity' is correct...!

John Kessler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: