Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CROWN "SPECIAL"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between a 4x5 Crown Graphic and same but with word: "Special' on front?
Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make a common Crown into a Special. Remove the ektar lens, replace it with a Rodenstock Xenar 135mm, occasionally add a left hand shutter release bracket that looks identical to a two piece electrical cord strain relief, and drop the price $20.

yes "specials" were cheaper than normal cameras when they came out. I don't know if that is because the lens is not as good, or if the deutchmark vs dollar was so lopsided at the time.

Lensman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO LES....Thanks....again you told me what I wanted to know!
xavier_batllori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked the latest McKeown's guide and it states that it's the same as the Pacemaker but sold with Schneider Xenar f4.5/135mm lens, rangefinder/viewfinder mounted on top and Synchro-Compur 1-500,B.
This description matches the one i own except that the lens is 4.7 and not 4.5 as is stated on the guide.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. I said Rodenstock I meant Scheider. Most models were in Syncro-Compur the very late models have a Rodenstock Xenar in a copal shutter, but these are rare.
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, can you further describe this "left hand shutter release bracket that looks identical to a two piece electrical cord strain relief"? I've never seen a pacemaker that didn't have the right-hand release bracket. Was it in addition to that? Was it a cable release?

Inquiring mind wants to know!
Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not a cable release, its just a "thingy" that was supposed to hold an old style cable release--the kind with a small dia fixed part, no screw lock or collar lock.

The cable release simply slipped into the U-shaped part so your left thumb could trigger the shutter. I had one on my special when I first got it. Mine was mounted with one small wood screw to a point just above and behind the leather handle. I'm gonna try to post an image stolen from the public research library aka ebay. This is of a century and they mounted it on top. This was a 10 cent item to Graflex and in no way changed the design of the body.

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-02-03 20:37 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now I understand. I had one of those installed on a Century I bought, and on a 45 TR Crown [not a Special]. Must have been an available accessory. They do work well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: