Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solenoid #'s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen on eBay Graflex solenoids *******. A #2 and a #3. Anyone know what # for a Graflex Optar F/4.7/135mm shutter?
Also, what # for a Graflex Supermatic (X or 'Flash Supermatic...i.e; 'full sync/M,F &X)?
Also, anyone know of source-besides eBay- for used or new (HA!)Heiland solenoids, tubes (flash gun),cords -(original Heiland or Honeywell), brackets...particularly the Model 74 for 4X5 Crown & Speed Graphics that attach to body and go around the rangefinder, and the two encircling brackets that go around the flashgun and mate with the body bracket?
jdman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a # 2 was for 2 cell flashtubes, and a #3 was for 3 cell flashtubes. But I could be wrong. Russ
Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had info from a fellow selling one...I asked if it would be the specific one for my Graflex Optar f/4.7/135mm shutter, and he replied that he spoke to a former Graflex Service Tech....Boy that's handy!...who said yes,the #2 Solenoid will work with this shutter,and the M2 Mount is specifically for the above shutter.
PS. Just had bit more info which may be useful to members....a #3 Graflex Solenoid which my contact has came off a Kodak Supermatic shutter...SO, different #'s of solenoids for different shutters.

[ This Message was edited by: Lensman on 2002-02-06 12:54 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't agree with your assertion that the #3 solenoid is not proper for the 135mm Optar in a Graphex shutter. Roger Adams mounted one for me years ago for that lens/shutter, and asked me ahead of time what battery case I was using. I responded that I had the 3 cell case, and he installed the #3 solenoid, which works fine for me.

Gandolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem,

Quote:
The GRAFLEX synchronizer is supplied in two sizes. The two-cell models (25 and 27) are suitable for all-around single-lamp shooting. For heavy-duty and multiple-flash shooting, the three-cell models (35 and 37) should be used*. the two-cell models use only two battery cells and are supplied with No. 2 solenoid releases, which are made to operate efficiently with but two battery cells; the three-cell models are supplied with three cells and No. 3 solenoid releases,specifially built for use with three battery cells. The battery case can be identified by the legend on its lower end, and the releases are also marked.
Unless especially adjusted at the factory a two-cell release should not be used with three battery cells. A three-cell release should not be used with two cells at any time.
*The first figure of the model number indicates th enumber of battery cells, and the second figure the size of the reflector.

from" "Instruction manual Graflex Flash Synchronizer; Graflex Flashing Unit" printed 9/45

[ This Message was edited by: Gandolf on 2002-02-06 15:15 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gandolf, that was my recollection too. An interesting sidelight is that, by 1964, according to the Solenoid Manual issued that year, the #3 had been discontinued, and all instructions were for either the #0, or #2 solenoid. It did say:

"The solenoid is electrically operated, receiving its energy from batteries in the 3 cell battery case. ..." Apparently, by that time, they were just adjusting the #2 to work with the extra voltage. Never have heard what the #0 was for.
Gandolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec I'll swear your playing my straight man, just to make me look good) I JUST found a blurb in a later flash instruction manual that talks about using the battery case to trip the shutter , but using the internal syncronizer in the shutter to time the bulb.
Quote:
...due to that added built-in mechanism, the synchronized shutters require some added power when electrically released. Because of this, the No. 2 GRAFLEX shutter requires the no 2 solenoid and the No. 2 Supermatic (didn't say flash supermatic) requires the No. 0 solenoid release. The solenoid in use will serve only as a release for the shutter, flash synchronization being accomplished by the built-in shutter synchronizer.

It's not mentioned but the illustration show a model 35 (3 cell, 5 inch reflector)

So Graflex did it to us again. Just when you think there's an absolute rule (solenoid # refer to cells not shutters) We find an exception!
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I [and I am unanimous in this] am enjoying learning more about these cameras. There always seems to be something new around the corner.

A working solenoid greatly enhances the versitility of the Graphic camera. I put mine out on the deck next to a bird feeder, and run the remote control cord inside. That way, I can catch Woodpeckers doing their balancing act on the feeder, with great detail because of the close-up proximity of the camera. I do put a black bag over it to prevent unwanted "deposits". They jump when the flash goes off, but they always come back.

Another neat feature of the camera is the focuspot. I remember being photographed by a woman photographer using a Speed Graphic, focusing with the focuspot in the dark, in the dining room of the Rooselvelt Hotel in New Orleans in the '50s. Later I met another woman who did that for a living [guess the women sold more pics than the men] and she told fascinating stories of rapid processing and "wet printing" of those negatives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: