Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic Tripod?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmleppa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Speed Graphic Tripod? Reply with quote

I am interested in displaying my Speed Graphic on a tripod. Would like a piece that is antique/collectiable like my camera. Have seen some wood and brass but am not sure if they are appropriate model of this camera. Recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a wood and brass tripod would be appropriate for displaying any Speed Graphic. It was only about twenty five years ago that we were still discussing the relative merits of wood vs metal tripods and that was after the last Speed Graphic was made!
It would help the real experts if you gave them some idea of the age and specific model of your Speed.

C. Henry
jmleppa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply RE: tripod Reply with quote

Thanks! Unfortunately, I only know that the camera is about mid-forty's vintage. I have a serial number but haven't found out specific model.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say it's from the mid forties then it's probably an Anniversary Speed.
These have a wood lensboard, and a rotating lock on the front standard.
These will have either chrome trim (40-'42, then 45-46) If it's all black, then it's a war time Anny made from 42 to 45.

As to display tripods, Any wood tripod will do, you won't have to get a Crown tripod. I always like the Thalhammer tripod's mix of wood and bright metal. There's one on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Craig-Thalhammer-Tripod-w-Pan-Tilt-Head_W0QQitemZ220141795643QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is one Crown tripod that might lend itself to display as it only goes up to 45" It was designed to have a drawing board attached rather than a camera and as such it only has three sections as opposed to 4. They are engraved with "1914 US Engineering Dept" on the legs or top. Here's one with a Thalhammer head on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-WOODEN-CAMERA-TRIPOD_W0QQitemZ170143100466QQihZ007QQcategoryZ711QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
jmleppa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Tripod Reply with quote

Thanks so much! This is great info. My camera is all black with no wood showing.

Another question, how does the camera mount to the tripod head? I've seen some tripods that have a flat wood "bed" at the top and thought perhaps that is what I need but now that I see the metal top it makes me wonder how to mount it safely for display.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crown has a wood top of varying sizes depending on the model number The Thalhammer was designed for smaller cameras and thus has a smaller contact area with the camera.

Remember Speed Graphics are built strong enough to, as in Weegee's words, "Beat the guy in front of you over the head, and still get the shot"

I use a Bogen Quick release mount on all my Speeds and nothing has happended to them in terms of tearing a mount on a tripod. And since yours is in the library the only hazard I can think of is an curious dog catching a leg. If that's the case three lengths of furnace chain or even string running from each leg about 1/3 down will quell that danger.
jmleppa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful information, thanks! After a little more research online, I think my camera is a Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

I've also just bid on a Graflex Centry Graphic Press Camera - mostly just for fun! Thanks again!!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the serial number thru the list in Serial Number Savy called not the book list........ Serial number on metal plate on the bed, body shutter release=Pacemaker; serial number ink stamped on the bottom side of the camera top, wind key and tension knob on focal plane shutter with a table of shutter speeds =Anniversary or earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: