Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1/4 inch tripod screw socket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R_J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: 1/4 inch tripod screw socket Reply with quote

I'm looking to add an extra tripod 1/4 inch threaded screw hole into my Century Graphic and wonder if anyone knows of a European or internet source for the 'socket' part of the tripod bush which might be acquired and fitted through a drilled hole in part of the camera.

I've not seen these around, and although it might be possible to extract one from another camera, I wonder if these are sold anywhere to fit standard 1/4 inch tripod screws.

Kind regards,

RJ
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suitable inserts are stock items at many US hardware stores that have parts drawers of various sizes and threads of bolts, nuts, washers, etc. For instance, you can get 1/4-20 threaded inserts with a collar-and-prong surround, typically used for wood items. This could probably be fashioned into a workable solution. Alternatively, with bit of ingenuity, a file, and some epoxy you could probably just install a 1/4-20 hex nut in the hole. But as you're aware, your problem is going to be finding a source in Europe for such things. I don't know what the availability of SAE (as opposed to metric) fittings is over there, but the 1/4-20 (SAE) thread is standard for tripod sockets throughout the world. Have you tried local camera stores?
R_J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

I'm working on location in an island where the only camera store stocks digital chips and Fuji Superia 100 film. They had a step-up filter ring which was amazing, however 120 roll film elicits strange reactions from the shop assistants who suggest I should by a 3 megapixel camera instead (I don't tell them what line of work I do either).

If you have a source in the States who are contactable by email, I'd certainly give them a try. I'm not sure what 1/4 inch SAE translates to in European terms and it seems safer to go with the American standard which I know will fit.

Kind regards,

RJ
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ,

Which island? England? (hehehe)

Just a stab here, but if you google up Ace Hardware or TruValue Hardware, two big chain/franchise outfits here, you might find something. I'll do a little research and report back.

H
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ,

Try this: http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html
R_J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol!

Henry - this one:

http://www.luxcamera.co.uk/port-b%F4t.htm

You might not find it on your world map. England is a continent in comparison

Thanks for the link - I'm trying to figure out which item code it is. Can you check to see if these are appropriate:

Code Int.Diameter Thread
400-004 4-40 .375 .350 1/4" --
400-006 6-32 .375 .350 1/4" 500-006
400-008 8-32 .375 .350 1/4" 500-1

I'm not sure which it is that I need. I'll ask them if they can do an internet order, although I feel they would probably find it too insignificant to post from the States.

Kind regards,

RJ
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, beautiful photos, RJ! And yes, we've heard of Guernsey over here, but perhaps more for the breed of cattle by that name.

BTW, what film did you use?

Now to the topic: you don't want any of those x-yz sizes (such as 2-56, 4-40, etc. Those are wire gauge sizes followed by number of threads per inch). What you want is listed as 1/4-20, i.e., 1/4 inch diameter hole (or bolt) with 20 threads per inch. I couldn't locate those catalog numbers you listed, but I was looking at this page:

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsPlastic/brass-flanged.html

Scroll down the chart until you see "1/4-20" listed under the column heading "Internal Thread."

These have a flange at the top. These are also available without the flange, listed as "flush" on this page:

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsPlastic/brass-flush.html)
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I think that RJ is looking for a threaded bushing, ideally in a size for which he can easily find a tap.

RJ, if I were you I'd look for a bushing threaded 3/8" x 16 threads/inch externally and 1/4" x 20 threads/inch internally. By an odd coincidence, this is the bushing used to attach, e.g., a tripod head made to go on a leg set with a 3/8-16 hold to a leg set with a 1/4-20 screw. Year before last I got a very nice one from Berlebach, the tripod manufacturer. Google Berlebach.

I were you I'd get the right size tap -- should be common in the UK --, just drill the appropriate sized hole in the Century, tap it, and screw the bushing in. I'm pretty sure that for luck after I'd confirmed fit and that the hole was near enough plumb I'd glue the bushing in. Epoxy, which I think you know as Araldite.
R_J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry -

Les Guernesaises (original Guernsey people) feel offended when they are told that their country is known internationally for cows!

The island's primary industry is financial sector services. Agriculture comes further down the list although it is one of the rare outposts of Norman culture in Europe.

The work on the weblink was shot on Ilford Pan F+ film as well as Agfa Scala (no longer available). At least Ilford's beautiful Pan F+ remains with us.

Thanks for the detailed instructions: can I check that this is the correct threaded bushing that I require:

260-4-BR 1/4-20 .375 .326 .500 .313 (5/16)

Hi Dan -

that's correct. It's a threaded bushing. I can manager with either a larger 3/8 or a 1/4 inch threaded bushing - either would do, although a 1/4 would be more standard for my tripod head. I've sent an email to Berlebach and will see what they say.

Believe it or not, Guernsey isnt' actually in the United Kingdom, so there is a significant postal delay. If there was a shop here where I could visually check the tripod bush sockets out, that would be ideal. Unfortunately the variety of back-up support for such items here is very curtailed. Ezlok haven't replied yet - I'll see if Berlebach are any quicker.

Kind regards,

RJ
R_J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

is this what you were thinking of?

http://www.berlebach.de/inhalte/produkte/zubehoer/report/32054-55_gross.jpg

and similar items on:

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

I've not been able to find a 'socket for the outer thread of these threaded sockets. Would it be dangerous just to drill these into a baseboard without support?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The brass ones on the left, without flanges.

You'll have to drill a hole in the mahoganite, tap it 3/8-16, and screw the bushing in.

If you get a flanged bushing you'll have to countersink the hole a little so that the flange is flush with the body when screwed it. Just screwing and glueing a straight bushing in seems easier.

Security is the reason I suggested that you glue it in.

What are you trying to accomplish, i.e., why do you want a second tripod mounting hole? I ask because I've made bracketry for holding, e.g., flashes, that is held to my Century's tripod socket by a mounting screw and that is itself threaded for attachment to a focusing rail. Same hole as needed to attach to a tripod.

Cheers,

Dan
R_J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Les has kindly sorted this out for me! Thanks Les

I'm still confused about the brass ones though. What's to stop the tripod bush from taking the socket out if the tripod bush is screwed too tightly? Would that warp the mahoganite? Is there a danger that the new inserted threaded socket would eventually twist the mahoganite and wriggle free?

I'll definitely glue it in.

Previously, I used a glued unit on the Century Graphic to mount it upside down. The glue eventually gave way. I find that this is the most useful configuration for tripod-shooting the Century, perhaps because I am more accustomed to forward tilt and the use of the baseboard as a lenshood for the 47mm Super Angulon which flares dramatically.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R_J wrote:
Hi Dan,

Les has kindly sorted this out for me! Thanks Les

I'm still confused about the brass ones though. What's to stop the tripod bush from taking the socket out if the tripod bush is screwed too tightly? Would that warp the mahoganite? Is there a danger that the new inserted threaded socket would eventually twist the mahoganite and wriggle free?

I'll definitely glue it in.

Previously, I used a glued unit on the Century Graphic to mount it upside down. The glue eventually gave way. I find that this is the most useful configuration for tripod-shooting the Century, perhaps because I am more accustomed to forward tilt and the use of the baseboard as a lenshood for the 47mm Super Angulon which flares dramatically.
Please share Les' trick with us.

The outer threads of the bushing hold it in.

Mahoganite is not Bakelite but I think its in the same family of thermoplastic resins. They don't warp.

Funny, my 47/5.6 SA doesn't have flare problems. Is yours clean?

Cheers,

Dan
R_J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

there's no trick to it. Just airmail postage.

That's great to hear that the mahoganite is durable enough to withstand warping. That's true - it isn't wood as I keep thinking for some reason.

Your 47mm Super Angulon doesn't flare? Surely the sun shines over the United States sometimes. I also use a 47mm Super Angulon XL (latest generation) which also flares unpleasantly (flare spots). The only lenses which have consistently not flared which I've ever used are the T* Zeiss lenses for medium format. Perhaps I should be using lenshoods more often wherein possible.

The inverted Century Graphic seems to yield less flare for me...perhaps due to the shielding from the baseplate/lenshood.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ, I dunno. My 47 SA is an old one, in #00 and single-coated. Perhaps I don't have flare problems with it or most of my other lenses because I try hard not to shoot against the light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: