Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflarger light tube replacement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To RichS:

I don't know if Aristo still uses the same model numbers, but the tube in my working Graflarger is an Aristo Gridlight W35, which I vaguely recall was printed somewhere on the tube, hope this helps in your quest.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:02 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for an update...
Got through to 'Jody' at Aristo this morning.
She said "Oh, you mean the 'graphlarger fourty five' lamp"... Yep, they know all about it, in stock and for 107.00 plus shipping. Any kind of shipping you'd like...
Now I'll wait and see if it really is the right lamp as it should be here in a week. After all this I couldn't see spending the extra money of faster shipping
After I get it, install it and see whether or not it blows up or lights up, I'll let everyone know...

Rich...
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last update(?)

Got the new tube today from Aristo. After a 15 minute install, the Graflarger works great! Although the green light surprised me a bit. I know I've read 'green' before, but I wasn't prepared for quite so much green... I can't see using this with color? And supposedly, this is a 'new' tube that works with variable contrast paper? I hope so...

No model number on the tube at all. No markings whatsoever... The invoice lists it as product# GRAPH-45-LO, description as GRAPHLARGER 45 LAMP ONLY. Total amount with shipping was 119.00. So if anyone wants to replace a tube in a Graflarger, just call Aristo at 203-578-4600, ask for Jody and the above part. The packaging was great. Installation a breeze, although it's held in with solid copper wires twisted around the tube through holes in the board. Easy to take apart but gives you a feeling that one more twist and the new tube will break The tube isn't even soldered in. Just wire nuts holding the tube wires to the transformer wires, and long enough to work with. It is all pretty fragile though!
So the Graflarger replacement tube quest is finally over, and with a happy ending. Now all I have to do is actually try is out
Thanks to all for the help...

Rich...
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, the lamp should work as is for graded paper. I've never heard of a way to successfully use them for color.

To use VC paper, get a 30cc yellow filter and cut it to fit below the lamp and above the diffuser [I'm assuming there is one]. Hopefully that will produce your expected results with that paper. I use that with my Zone VI head.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-14 20:18, alecj wrote:
Rich, the lamp should work as is for graded paper. I've never heard of a way to successfully use them for color.

To use VC paper, get a 30cc yellow filter and cut it to fit below the lamp and above the diffuser [I'm assuming there is one]. Hopefully that will produce your expected results with that paper. I use that with my Zone VI head.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think quite that far ahead. Not exactly like an enlarger with a filter drawer... Although I could use gel filters below the lens, or poly cut to fit anyway. It may be a little while before I can use this for real so I'll have to put some thought into filtering. I'm sure there are add-ons for older enlargers for below-the-lens filter holders. But polycontrast filters really should be before the negative... Hmmm. Seems like another project coming Boy, I'd hate to carve a slot into the side of this to slide filters into ;-(

R.H.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use No.3 of the (older) Kodak Polycontrst Filter Kit with my graflarger a lot. They come in a yellow container. You may see some on eBay from time to time with a holder.

Thanks so much for the info you shared. I'll do the same when my graflarger stops working.
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 18:44, R.H. wrote:
I use No.3 of the (older) Kodak Polycontrst Filter Kit with my graflarger a lot. They come in a yellow container. You may see some on eBay from time to time with a holder.

Thanks so much for the info you shared. I'll do the same when my graflarger stops working.

You're welcome I'm one of those people who like to put old things (tools, camera equip.,etc.) back into useful life. That's why I took the route of fixing the Graflarger instead of returning it. I hope it leads someone else to do the same.

I'm interested in your using polycontrast filters. Where, or how do you mount them? There's no way to slide them in above the negative, unless you sandwich the filter in with the negative inside the holder? How are the results with the paper? I've never used much polycontrast myself, but planned to when I got things set up again, hopefully soon
jdman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My polycontrast kit came with a lens adaptor. With Three rubber footed setscrews to hold it on the lens. It is adjustable for most any size lens. It works good for me on my Bessler 23. Russ
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the filters mount below the lens? I thought about doing this but didn't think they were of optical quality? I'll have to look more into this. I could use my Lee 4x4 Gel-snap to hold filters below the lens or maybe find an adapter for an enlarger?
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I'd go with your original idea: cut some and put them above the negative. You didn't say, but isn't there a difuser below the bulb? If so, you can get 6x6 filters and cut them to size [use the difuser as a guide]. Hopefully, it isn't too hard to pull up the lamp and change them. I still say the 30 yellow will probably do 90% of your printing, unless you use the other filters a lot. Filters above are ALWAYS better than filters below the lens.
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-17 06:36, alecj wrote:
Rich, I'd go with your original idea: cut some and put them above the negative. You didn't say, but isn't there a difuser below the bulb? If so, you can get 6x6 filters and cut them to size [use the difuser as a guide]. Hopefully, it isn't too hard to pull up the lamp and change them. I still say the 30 yellow will probably do 90% of your printing, unless you use the other filters a lot. Filters above are ALWAYS better than filters below the lens.

I'd have to agree and I still doubt the filters were ever made in optical quality. But there's no way to easily put filters in the Graflarger head. The housing is screwed together with only a slot for the negative carrier. So there's no access to the 'diffuser' which is just a sheet of 'opal' glass. I'll have to look into this some more but it will take some time. Maybe a filter would fit above the negative carrier? Might be enough room for one or two? To be honest, I haven't tried polycontrast in at least 25 years and didn't particulary like it back then. And I still don't have my old darkroom set up yet. I did manage to buy some new paper & chemicals but it could be weeks to months before I can actually use it. Unfortunately, there's other things that have priority... My best hope right now is a temporary setup at night with no water, etc... I've got the bug, just not the time...
But getting it all together does get me closer to making the time
Graflite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using up my graded paper stock with my 4 x 5 Graflarger, however when I'm ready to use VC papers, I have a set of Kodak 6 x 6 inch Polymax VC filters that I had thought of cutting down to fit inside the negative holder, then I would sandwich the filter (on top) with the negative (below).

Using a static brush and canned air I hope (and pray) to remove all the dust from the filter and negative so I don't have to do much spotting of the prints afterwards.

I thought I had a CC30Y 6 x 6 inch filter lurking around, but it grew feet and walked off somewhere, so if I don't find it soon, I'm going to buy one to cut and fit inside the Graflarger above the frosted glass when I start using VC papers.

dkt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you all....I don't use a graflarger, but I do use a couple of Aristo coldlights and vc papers. If you got the new V54 tube...you don't need to use any CC30-40Y filters with it. It's my understanding the contrast spacing will be about normal with the regular PC filter set. I use an old Aristo D2H head, and i just use the filters beneath the lens-a PolymaxII set. I don't use any CC filters, although I have used them on occasion. A PC0 equals about a grade 2.5. You can use the high & low filters to split filter everything if you have to...so it's not a big deal...

Aristo is a great company to deal with though...and they can make a custom coldhead for additive color printing. I have a coldhead that was one blue tube on a rheostat originally...they put a second green tube in it for me to upgrade it to a VC head. They told me they could add a red tube if I wanted....when it was one tube, it was oversized--a 5x7 grid. This way, there was a filter drawer beneath the tube. But some people do lay the filters on top of the neg carriers too...you just can't change them out easily. I have never noticed any focus shifts with using them beneath the lens, and I make some pretty big prints too...hope this helps.

[ This Message was edited by: dkt on 2002-04-11 15:11 ]
alexanderfedin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Graflarger light tube replacement Reply with quote

RichS wrote:
I just received a Graflarger back (4x5) and was a bit more than upset to find the light tube broken. I do have the option to return it, but would keep it if I could find a new tube. I know this has been brought up several times, but I've never seen anyone mention a solution? Has anyone found a replacement tube? If so, please let me know ASAP...

Thanks,
Rich...

I am seriously thinking about LED panel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: