Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflarger light tube replacement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Graflarger back (4x5) and was a bit more than upset to find the light tube broken. I do have the option to return it, but would keep it if I could find a new tube. I know this has been brought up several times, but I've never seen anyone mention a solution? Has anyone found a replacement tube? If so, please let me know ASAP...

Thanks,
Rich...
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I'd call Aristo. If they don't have one, they can make it.

http://www.aristogrid.com/
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 11:09, alecj wrote:
Rich, I'd call Aristo. If they don't have one, they can make it.

http://www.aristogrid.com/

Thanks. I checked their web site and found little info except for the phone number and am waiting a return call. They sound friendly at least and they have "an old guy" named 'Rick' that's supposed to know about the Graflarger.
I also checked B&H. They list a lamp replacement for a 4x5 'Graphlarger 45'. A 'V54' lamp at 107.00, but no other info so I don't know if it's correct or something totally different?
Not so oddly enough, apparently Aristo still maufactures a view camera back in 4x5 very similar to a Graflarger. No more info there either but I'll ask if they call back.
I hate to return this and I'm not so happy about spending another 100 bucks on a new lamp. But at least I'd have a new lamp I suppose?

Thanks again!
Rich...
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your disappointment, but if it was in otherwise good shape [wiring still pliant, not brittle, cosmetics and all the parts there] then you could console yourself that the bulb could have blown anytime. At least, that's the way I'd justify it to keep an otherwise good unit. Remember, though, the transformer can also go anytime, but its more rebust than the bulb. They normally have a pretty loud hum, but if yours is extra loud, then I'd think about it. Ask the "old guy" about that if you get the chance.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a touchy subject, but was the graflager insured?
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 16:56, Les wrote:
I know this is a touchy subject, but was the graflager insured?

Better(?) than that, it's from B&H. They have been good for returns in the past, but maybe now I know why it was a good price?
So far I have no worries about returning it. But I wonder if I should? I've heard quite a few of these don't survive shipping and if I put a new lamp into this one, it will not only work but work for quite some time. Of course the cost is a major concern. I actually only bought it because it was a good price. Add the cost of a lamp and I would have waited quite a while longer... And, this one came with 3 negative holders which seem a bit hard to come by. Another reason to keep it... I'll try to get in touch with Aristo again tomorrow and see what they say...

Rich...
Graflite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Graflarger, if it helps any, the tube used in the Graflarger is an Aristo Gridlight W35, whether it is still being made by Aristo is another question.

Also I recently made some improvements on my Graflarger:

(1) I repainted the interior and back panel with gloss white because it appears that the original paint had yellowed with age.

(2) Replaced the black rubber cushions that the tube rested on because they had started to fall part with black rubber feet that secure using a nut and bolt.

(3) I replaced the power cord from the transformer to the wall because the outer jacket had started to crack, the cord from the transformer to the light grid is in good shape.

Hope this info helps and good luck with your search for a tube.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get to the point of needing new paint or cords... Good luck with yours. What kind of paint did you use by the way? May need that if all goes well...

So far no luck in getting in touch with 'Rick' at Aristo, so no help there. B&H hasn't yet answered my e-mail query... And I'm still tempted to keep this thing because it's in good shape and came with the 3 different size negative holders. I know Aristo makes tubes that would fit in the box, but I'd have to wonder about the voltage. That could have changed over the years? Seems like this will be turning into a 'project' instead of just a purchase and oone way or the other it will work someday
Thanks...
Rich...
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 19:57, 45PSS wrote:
I got my graflarger on that E bid thing for about $200. It came fron the midwest to the west coast in the origional box, head wraped in small bubble wrap ,next to the transformer with paper taking up the extra space. The only thing it needs is paint and use. Can a regular enlarger timer be used with these?
Some manifacturers will only deal with a wholesaler or retailer not an end user. I will check at work to see if we can order one thru any of our sources.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-01-31 19:59 ]

Did yours work when you got it? Mine was wrapped pretty well in large bubble, but it was right next to the transformer. Seems odd that the tube would break and nothing else though?
Thanks for checking into ordering. I'm losing hope that Aristo will ever call back even though the 'receptionist'(?) was very friendly and surprised he didn't already call. I'm also surprised that B&H didn't respond. But maybe they got the clue that I was willing to keep this one and they decided to ignore me to prevent a possible return?
The quest goes on...
Rich...
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:01 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 21:55, 45PSS wrote:
All mine needs is paint and use, turns on the instant the switch makes contact. The head was seperated from the trans. by 2 or 3 inches.

This may be one of those things one has to go to the right repair center to get the part but I hope not.

Charles

I sure hope I don't have to send it out. I hate the thought of just paying for a new tube, but also paying someone to install it would really hurt' I was an electronics tech for years and hate to pay someone else to do that kind of stuff. On the other hand, I was also an auto mechanic for years and have recently been paying people to do brake jobs & such just for the convenience... But if I can get a tube, I'd be a whole lot happier
Thanks...
Rich...
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:00 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-01 18:22, 45PSS wrote:
I use to chase electrons that went out of bounds also and many reletives were auto mechanics. I still do my own brake jobs as $125 for parts beets $500 at the shop, and haven't needed to plug in a soldering iron for a while or pick up a vom either, but...

C

Been surfing lighting, checked aristo and b&h. Looks like best bet is to call B&H customer service, work out a credit and order the graflarger 45 bulb they list. Someone should know if yours was working or not when listed. Doubt I will be able to special order any thing less expensive.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-02-01 19:58 ]

I always had more trouble with electrons that hit a wall and shorted things out Boy I wish I had one of those low ohm meters I used at work...

Thanks! B&H finally responded with an offer for a refund. I don't know if they didn't notice my question about a replacement tube or they just ignored it. I replied to them directly asking if the tube they list will fit since it doesn't directly state it and the spelling is different ("graphlarger"). I would pay the 107.00 for a new tube. It may make the whole thing a bit expensive, but if I include the 3 negative carriers and the fact that it would have a new tube, the price seems a bit more tollerable. I still can't get any response out of Aristo. My last e-mail to them was an absolute 'plea' full of "please"es and urgencies. I may have to call B&H to see if they know if the tube they list is really a replacement? In my mind, this has turned into a quest and now I hate to give the thing up without getting it to work... If I just knew that the tube was available and in that 107 range, I wouldn't mind a wait...

Oh-well... Thanks!

Rich...
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:01 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some dealing with B&H, I get the impression that they like to take the easy road, and that's a simple return that's what they do. It's a lot easier than looking for another part or exchanging this Graflarger for their other one or working out possible discounts... I had faith they would offer a refund, and they did. Anything after that would probably take a phone call. Although they did notice I wanted to keep the negative carriers and asked for my offer

And... I finally heard from Rick at Aristo just a minute ago. I guess the 'plea' worked? His reply is:
===========
Dear Rich,
Cost of the graphlarger lamp costs 107.00. S&H is extra. Person to be contacted is Jody. You may call 203 578 4600 EXT 488 and place your order.
Regards
Rick
============
Unfortunately, he didn't mention the model number or part number. I talked to Jody several times already and she knew nothing (about Graflargers, that is). But I imagine if she takes the order, someone down the line will pull the right lamp. And notice how he spells "graphlarger" and the price. Same as B&H, so that must be the same part. So it is available and for that price and I'll probably order it and see what happens. Maybe there is a light at the end of the bellows?

Rich...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: