Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focal length for portraits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to large format and will be starting with a crown graphic. I do a fair amount of portraiture and was wondering if the same focal length guidelines for 35mm apply to large format. I've always used a lens of at least twice the frame diagonal (when cropped to 4:5 ratio) to avoid exaggerated perspective. If I apply that rule to 4x5 I get a very long lens, probably even too long to focus at infinity let alone close.

I know different rules apply here because of different magnification ratios between large and small format. I'll be closer to a macro extension than infinity for a face shot. So bottom-line it for me. What should my minimum focal length be for face shots with 4x5? Is it even practical to do that with a Crown or should I look for alternatives like a 6x7 back and 180mm lens or wait until I get a long bellows camera?

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a rule of double the longer of the two dimentions. This gives us about a 10" lens on a 4x5 and Wollensak made a 10" tele-optar that would be good for portraiture. A 12" tele lens would be good too, they made a 15" tele for the Graflex and Graphic, but you would need a pretty long studio for that, and have a couple of 8x10 portrait lenses that are 15" in focal lenght, so maybe it's a bit too long.

The 10"tele lens is preferable over a "normal designed 10" in your situation because a tele lens uses less bellows draw than a normal, so you will be able to focus closer with a tele than with a normal 10" lens.

another lens option would be the 270mm tele-artar and tele rotelar.

except for the 10" tele-optar, these lenses will be on the heavy side, the tele-optar just a bit less so. While it can be done with a graphic, it won't be the sturdiest of cameras for the situation, particularly since you'll have to mount the camera on a tripod in the vertical postion. A kodak 2D or agfa/ansco with a 4x5 back or a Crown View camera would all be sturdier, but bigger and heavier. A Crown View looks just like a 2D but it 4x5. Even a grpahic view would be sturdier than a graphic, but again you trade sturdiness for portability.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that a 150mm-180mm lens is fine for 1/2 -3/4 lenth portraits, though for head and sholder work a 270mm lens is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: