Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XL sits on nose, maintenance help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to train thier XL to sit up straight like a grown up camera? Mine seems to want to keep its nose in the dirt.
Now that I have a couple lenses for my kit I want to dissasemble thefocussing mechanism and clean it. It seems to work marginally well with the 150 tube, and very good with the 80. However, whoever had it at some time sloshed a lot of light lube oil in it and I am continueously wiping it away as it migrates. The only thing I found searching was Antjam's suggestion to clean it and use a drop of light oil.
If anyone has the service manual I would be curious to know what Graflex suggested, if anything.
A couple other questions regarding the pistol grip handles and the release cable for them. I have two handles. One has a mounting socket in the top and I am wondering why or how this was intended to be used (I don't have any literature on the XL line). For therelease cable, oneof the handles had something mickey-moused, and so I have not had an XL cbale to look at. I am assuming they have a special groove for the push button quick release, and that if I want to have it set up properly I will have to acquire an XL cable to fit in my handle? The other one I can fit on one of my Century bodies perhaps.

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2007-01-10 17:42 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex first made the handle for the XL. When that proved a success, they changed the design of the hardware [the handles themselves remained unchanged] to provide a model for the Century. That hardware is identified by the 2 long prongs it has which fit down in the lower strap bracket while a screw matches up with the side tripod socket.

The top screw held a shoe into which a flash head could be mounted.

The hardware for one cannot be modified to fit the other, AFAIK. The Century models are harder to find.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2007-01-10 18:28 ]
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the flash option makes sense. It certainly didn't seem practical to mount the handle horizontally.
However, the mounting plate for my extra handle does not appear to be the one for a Century. It has the same dimensions as the XL mount; the only difference being that it came with the 1/4-20 swivel mount screw and has a locator pin where the plate would meet the back on the XL body (no telling where, who, or what this extra handle had been on as it came with a bunch of stuff with some other graflex goodies). I took the mount plate off the XL and this one has no pin, but a hole, and no provision for an locator pin in the body.
I am wondering if I have it correctly mounted, at least I think so, but what bothers me, and thus my comment about the camera sitting on its nose, is the bottom of the handle sits so far below the camera body, the camera sits caddywampuss, and with the 150 Ysarex mounted, rests right on the cocking lever. But very comfortable to hold, and I could see no other alternative, unless theplate is flipped around by removing the large slottedscrew in the post, which willhave to wait till tomorrow. Just used to having the box and bed of the Graphics, and not a camera that leads with its chin so to speak.

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2007-01-10 22:08 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part that extends below the camera does not sound right. Look on eBay to see how the bracket correctly fits the camera. I agree that it sounds like you're dealing with a highly modified bracket.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat plate that mounts directly to the XL body is directed forward and down which places the butt of the handle far below the flat bottom of the camera. It looks OK and is very comfortable but I see in images I have now looked at that it is upside down I think. If I can get the slotted screw out of the post and flip it I will try it that way...
Well, I tried it that way and that doesn't work, so I will leave it the way I had it for now, and it was very comfortable to shoot this afternoon down at the fishing boat pier. In the mean time I will look at more pictures.
Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2007-01-11 16:18 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avaliable via email is the following:
Graflex Photographic Equipement Parts List
xl Accessories a 2.81mb windows xp zip
file.

Graflex Service Instructions and Parts List
xl Camera Body part 1. Two windows xp zip
files, 2.35mb and 1.92mb for easier email.

text pages scaned at 100dpi, pages with images or diagrams scaned at 150dpi.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2007-01-12 18:24 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2007-01-12 18:22 ]
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I would use oil on an XL focusing mount; the little tabs are plastic and in theory would be self-lubricating with a bit of help from some silicone grease. That is what I use on mine, but I have to admit that it is still a bit stiff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex XL Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: