Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic View and Fujifilm film holder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacoesco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time here. Can someone help and tell me if the FUjifilm instant peel-apart film holder and film will fit my GV?

Also, I am welcome any recommendations to what film holder (instant film) would be best suited to my camera.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Joe Koski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two instant film holders that should work with view cameras. One is based on the Polaroid 500 series, and the film is $4 to $6 per shot. The other is based on the Polaroid 405 series, which has a slightly smaller, and off-center image size, but costs about $1 per shot. Fuji and Polaroid had film for both, last time I checked at 47th Street Photo.

The 405 will fit a Graflok back only. You may be able to use the 500 series adapter with some other backs, but I'd find out what kind of back your camera has first, and ask a more specific question.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search the forums for 'polaroid' and 'film' and 'holder', I'm sure all your questions will be answered. I'll offer what I know...

I believe most of the Fuji films are the "pack" films that will work in either the Fuji holder or the Polaroid 405. Either holder will work with your camera _IF_ it has a Graflok back. They're too thick to fit under a spring (Graphic) back, usually...

The best recommendation I can give is the Polaroid 545, 545I and 545Pro holders for the individual sheet films. They offer larger prints, being able to shoot any type of Polaroid film sheet by sheet instead of having to use an entire pack and being able to use Type 55 which gives you an excellent true negative. The downside is the cost of film which has gone up quite a bit lately. The 545 series holders can be used with any 4x5 camera no matter what type of back it's got.

For info on the films, the best place to look is the manufacturers web sites for data sheets. Or if you decide on either the 405 or 545, you could ask what other people prefer...

Stay away from the Polaroid 500 and 550 holders. Way outdated....

ImageMaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stay away from the Polaroid 500 and 550 holders. Way outdated....

Well, I'd say that depends what you pay.

First, the 500 requires a little more attention during use (to avoid pulling the envelope all the way out and ruining the film packet), but is otherwise every bit as good as the 545 family.

Second, the 550 may or may not fit under the ground glass of a spring back; they're really intended for use with a Graflok, but I've been told the 405 and 550 will fit under some spring backs. However, Fuji still makes a couple films that fit the 550, FP-100C and FP-3000B. These are nominally 4x5 films (actually about 1/8 inch smaller than the packet films, which are 1/8 smaller than 4x5 sheet film, and still further off center) in 10 exposure packs, which are used exactly like the 660 series films in 405 backs. They're almost twice the image area of the 3x4 pack films, however, and cost a great deal less than 4x5 packet films; if you need a larger print (print only, no pos-neg), and have a ready source of the Fuji film, these are a good choice, as they're much faster to use than the single-exposure packets and about 1/3 to 1/2 the price per exposure.

Anyone who is completely convinced their 550 is junk is welcome to ship one to me -- I'd love to shoot Polaroid in my 4x5 Speed, and can't begin to afford the packet films...

RichS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you. But I can only offer my own opinions...

I doubt I could stand pack film as I would never be happy with whatever film was currently in it. Color, B&W or PN? That's why I like the hseet films. I can carry 3 or 4 different kinds of film and use which ever type I am in the mood for at any given time.

I would also love to have a 550. I just wouldn't buy one because I have no faith that film will be available for any length of time, plus the limited types now. And the above... Same thing though, if someone wanted to donate one, I'd be more than happy to take it

The 500 is something I still don't recommend. It's just too easy to pull too far with all the other worries of LF. 545's can be had cheap now and then and balanceed against the cost of the film, it's not all that bad. So I hold to my opinion there. But if a 500 could be had all that cheap, than certainly it works and is better than nothing.

I really have no idea if the 550 or even the 405 would fit under the GG? I've also heard it both ways so it depends on the individual camera. Or new springs could be used as has been discussed in other threads. Not all that much toruble I suppose? At the moment, I don't have either holder so I can't speak from experience. I do plan on adding a 405 soon though. Not looking forward to the smaller print, but the cost is a big factor...

As long as I can afford it, Type 55 will always be my favorite though. Hopefully Polaroid will hang in there for a few more years...

ImageMaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as I can afford it, Type 55 will always be my favorite though. Hopefully Polaroid will hang in there for a few more years...

I've got an unopened box of 55, expired 1987. Nope, I have no expectation of being able to use it as originally intended, but I plan, eventually, to pull it, unprocessed, from my 500, peel it in the darkroom, and tray process the negatives. However, my need for ISO 25-32 film isn't high, so it might be a good long time before I open that box.

My 500 cost me $10 plus shipping -- given no more than I expect to use packet film, I can't begin to justify spending money on a 545 family back to replace it. I agree, that I won't spend much money to get a 550 back, but like Polaroid, I expect Fuji will continue making films that fit this back as long as it's adequately profitable to do so. The fact they still do, after Polaroid dropped out of that sub-market, suggests they can keep going in a smaller market than the American company, but if Polaroid folds, Fuji might be forced out of the market by patent law (once their existing license expires, there may be no one left to buy a renewal from).

FWIW, Polaroid has apparently announced in the past few days that all 80-series film (the square image, 3x3 pack films) are to be discontinued by end of 2006, on top of the loss of 665 and 85. They list 660 series films as alternative, suggesting those will continue for a time, at least. Given that their market is integral films, professional films that fit Pola backs on professional cameras, and digital, this isn't surprising; apparently the only remaining products that used this film were two models of ID camera -- which might have been selling from warehouse stock for years, given that ID has pretty much gone 100% digital.

Still, if enough of us keep buying it, it'll continue to be profitable to make and sell. Next time I order film, there'll be at least one 2-pack of 667 on the order -- I just loaded my last pack last week.

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987? I doubt you'd get the dried pods through the rollers No doubt that the negs are still good though. But they are thin to work with...

I'm surprised about the 80 series films. I thought they were pushing them as a newer format for a few cameras? Or maybe it was just the Holga? I hate to see any film go away, especially Polaroid...

A $10 550 is a steal. I would grab one for that too.

But 667? I thought that was for the 405? I guess I'll have to read up on Polaroid numbers & formats again. It's been a while...
ImageMaker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the pods in the Type 52 that was with the 55 actually still sort of worked -- two minutes development for film that originally called for 15 seconds, immediately after opening the package, and I got visible, if rather faint, prints. The 55 is still sealed, so in theory I might get *something* from it, but I'd rather just process the negatives in trays. Yes, they're thin, but I'd do those one at a time anyway; too much annoyance handling the packets in the dark otherwise.

No, it was a 500 (predecessor of the 545, for 4x5 single-exposure packets) that was $10. I had a 550 briefly, received it with a CRT camera for which I traded a pair of Isolette/Speedex cameras, one sort of working, the other with no lens or shutter; later traded the 550 for something, and now wish I had it back (hadn't fully realized the cost of the packet films before letting it go).

The 667 would fit a 405, but I don't have one of those. No, it won't fit the 550 (though I think I could make an adapter to put the smaller film in the larger back); it does, however, fit my Polaroid 350 camera, as well as my autoexposure pinhole built from a 210. Doesn't matter what I burn the film in, it's buying the film that helps keep Polaroid making it.

[ This Message was edited by: ImageMaker on 2006-08-22 10:22 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 52 from '87 that still almost worked? That's impressive!

I have some old Type 55 here that seems to go like the Energizer Bunny. Although it does seem to help if I massage the pod a little bit before inserting it into the holder. I shot one now and then just to see if it's still working

And I may as well blame you. After this discussion, I wound up with a 405 holder. I just couldn't pass it up for the price. A bit beat up but looks like it'll work fine. I should have a pack of film for it tomorrow to test it out. I was very surprised to see it fit under the GG of my Super. I didn't think I'd use it much, but if it wants to fit, then maybe it'll get used too? Either way, it should be fun to play with... And sure, just in time for Type 665 to be discontinued...

ImageMaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, you'd better send that 405 to me before you get addicted to shooting Polaroid and run yourself into the poor house paying for film.

Personally, I think the ISO 3000 film, accurately adjusted RF, and custom mask for the viewfinder would be just the ticket for street shooting with my Annie. I could stop well down and still use high shutter speeds, not to mention carrying 20-30 exposures of film at only a pound or so penalty above the camera and 405 back. And I'd have a pocket full of prints before I even got back to my van to go home.

OTOH, I can do much the same with my 350, carry about five pounds less camera, and have a built-in development timer. Not as cool as a Speed Graphic, but lots easier to carry around...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: