Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stiff Grafmatic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my Grafmatic magazines are stiff to operate, especially the dark slide. Everything is clean, and I checked the light traps under the dark slide to be sure that they were not creating the drag. The darkslide moves freely enough with the magazine empty, but when the septums are loaded it becomes quite difficult to work the darkslide. The septums are OK. Swapping the septums with another (slick) magazine makes no difference. The springs that push the septums up seem to be OK, and provide about the same resistance as my other, good, magazines.

Any tips? I've had these completely apart and cannot find any reason why they are so stiff.
ImageMaker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If swapping the septums with a smooth magazine doesn't improve things, I'd look for corrosion or burrs on the springs, inside the case, or anywhere else the dark slide or septums make sliding contact. Also check to be sure the dark slide gate isn't bent or distorted, and that the dark slide itself is flat and straight.

I don't know if there are good reasons not to do so, but many times I've freed up sliding surfaces that were binding with NAPA brand Dry Silicone spray lubricant (about $7 a can, should be lifetime supply for this application). Spray on moving parts, let dry (I'd recommend 24 hours before loading film, to ensure all solvents have evaporated), and if that doesn't free things up, it's time to look for bent parts again...

45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax the edges of the sliding parts with a high quality automotive finish wax.

RichS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works fine without the septums and switching the septum set has no affect, I can think of one possibility. Open the unit up and take out the septums.

Now look into the open box where the septums came out of. The inside edge where the darkslide comes out has a tab on the bottom. It will stick out into the box when the unit is compeletely cycled. You have to push this slide back, in the direction of the darkslide until it clicks there before you put the septums in. If not, they stick up a bit and push up against the darkslide. I've done this once and it sounds similar to your problem.

If you are familiar with this, please done't be offended by my suggestion. Sometimes the simple things get past us...
disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, pretty much all of those already looked at. Have not tried the wax or silicone spray yet, but those will be tried before wer'e through. I have some teflon grease on the way, and that needs to be checked out. An obvious concern with any lube is of course the mess and contact with film handling surfaces. Hopefully the teflon grease can be wiped nearly dry to leave a minimal film.

Continued examination shows that in addition to the darkslide/septum friction, there are some other sources contributing to the overall problem. The darkslide light traps (stops in Grafspeak) seem to be resisting the movement of the darkslide more than they should. They have been cleaned and are dry, so I do not know what is bothering them. On one magazine, there is also some interferece between the DS and the inner surface of the nylon housing; that can be relieved with a bit of filing. Both of these magazines have seen a lot of use, and that is doubtless a factor.

So they'll come apart again this coming weekend, and maybe I can improve them a bit. I may try the wax as I probably will not have the teflon grease by then. Murphey's law being what it is, I had the choice of teflon grease or dry aerosol, and chose the grease. The dry aerosol would have been ideal for something like the stops.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used hosehold paraffin before I heard about the wax, silicone base is best?. I would not use any grease as it will attract dust and will migrate and wind up where you don't want it. I figure talc powder rubed in and any excess blown off will work also. If the screws will hold the frame together, then wax or paraffin along the moving contact surfaces will get it going again.
P.S.
I scaned a factory serive manual for both the 2x3 and 4x5 grafmatics that Rich has available on his web site if you need them and do not have them yet.
Position of the parts may be critical on a worn grafmatic.

disemjg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have the service manual; what is the link to the web site for it?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/
click on graflex manuals in the left plane then scroll down to the manual you want/need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: