Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex in the movies!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sjixxxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched another with a few camera's in it. Midnight Express. When Billy first gets arrested they take his picture with one, not sure what model though. It had a top mounted rangefinder though.

Later when he is in prison some guy is taking their photo with a big pretty Graflex SLR.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In HBO's Something the Lord Made, at the end a photographer is taking pictures for Life magazine of Dr. Blaylock, the pioneering heart sergon, is using a pristine Anniversary Speed with a chrome Graflex flash with 7" reflector and blue flashbulbs.
Great care was taken to get the details historically correct thruout the movie.
C

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2004-06-10 18:55 ]
rossjd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday from Australia,
I have just joined your Forum and find this thread very interesting. I collect cameras and the reason I joined was that I have just picked up a Speed Graphic with supposedly interesting Movie history. The elderly chap I got it off was a photographer for a Melbourne Newpaper. When the film "on the Beach" with Gregory Peck was being made in Melbourne in 1957 they wanted a Speed Graphic to use as a prop. This is that camera. When the newspaper stopped using the Grapics the photographer grabbed this one as he knew it had history so to speak. It is in average condition with boxes of bits and pieces that he said were just going to be thrown out. Anyway I am hoping to restore this camera and if I can get in operating condition. I'm pretty sure it would work as it is but it has been sitting for many years.
These cameras are not very common in Australia although I'm sure they would have been once.
By the way, I haven't had a look at the movie yet to see if this story could maybe be right.
Cheers,
Ross.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ross and Welcome to the best damn site on the internet!!!

I have to say that you now have a great piece of history in your possession. It has been several years since I saw the 1959 version of "On The Beach" with Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. I don't recall seeing any Graphics in it, but then again it was so long ago that I probably wouldn't have necessarily been looking for any the way I do now. Perhaps I will try to find it for a rental and pay closer attention for your "new" Graphic!!! I also have seen it occasionally repeated on our cable network "American Movie Classics" so I'll keep an eye open for it there, too.

But it certainly is quite possible that the camera may have been in the film. According to the website imdb.com (Internet Movie Data Base) they list filming locations for "On The Beach." It states the following.......

Canadian Bay, Port Phillip, Victoria, Australia

Frankston Beach, Frankston, Victoria, Australia

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

By the way, one of my favorite authors and photographers was Alan Villiers from Australia, who spent his entire life pursuing a career in deep-sea sailing vessels at the end of the sailing-ship era. He started out as a reporter for a newspaper in Hobart,N.Z. and ran away to go to sea, spending his entire life there. One of the earliest ships in which he served was the JAMES CRAIG, which I understand was rescued from abandonment in a South American inlet and it has been restored to sailing condition at Sydney.

His photographs of his life experiences at sea during the 1930's, 40's, 50's & 60's were mostly taken with Graphics and (later) Rollei TLR's. He wrote several books and most were profusely illustrated with his photos. He also contributed about 30 articles for National Geographic magazine over a 50-year period, each one also accompanied by his pictures. Later, after service in WWII which included commanding landing craft during the D-Day invasion, Villiers commanded MAYFLOWER II from Brixham,Devon,England to Plymouth,Mass,U.S. in 1957.

If you ever have a chance to see his photographs of windjammers rounding Cape Horn in the dead of winter, you will have a new appreciation for the sea, photography and for the venerable Speed Graphic.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2004-06-18 08:40 ]
Graflite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my van was being serviced I went and saw a movie on Friday called "The Notebook" with James Garner and Gina Rowlands.

And for about 10 seconds or so there was a press photographer using (what I thought) was an older Speed Graflex (post WWII, maybe mid to late 40's).

Without giving the story away, the press photographer was photographing an old two story restored house that a young man had rebuilt from ruins, after returning from WWII, to his hometown.

My local newspaper had an article saying that the story line was too predictable and the movie wasn't that good, but I strongly disagree, and was quite moved by the story, especially the ending, which seemed almost magical.

graflite

tsgrimm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Lee Jones photographing Sissy Spacek in "Coal Miner's Daughter" with a Super Graphic.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest collection of Speed Graphics (5x4)can be seen in the 1960 Italian movie LA DOLCE VITA by Fellini.
They are everywhere being used by the press,inc the Rollei,as runner up.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd revive this section again-just shown here on the 'box',the 1949 United Artists movie IMPACT,starring Brian Donlevy.A group of press photographers at the end during the courtroom scene with Graphics.

Why do they NOT focus up,just point the camera and run,no slide changing,no changing the bulb,the usual contempt Hollywood had for the camera in those days.

The TRUE use of the camera could be seen in newsreels,used by 'real'press photographers.A good example of that could be seen in the witch hunt courtroom scenes during the late forties by politician,Senator Joseph McCarthy (1905-1957).The Speed Graphic had a field day(s).
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never before in the history of cameras has the SPEED GRAPHIC had full exposure (excuse the pun)in Hollywood movies.

Another gem comes to mind,Republic Pictures "City That Never Sleeps" (1953)just cropped up here on TV.Those press guys were at it again-complete with flashguns attached.

The movies famous props of the Black & White days,the press & the Graphic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you go to TV there was 'Man with a Camera', a '50s drama featuring the late Charles Bronson and a Pacemaker Speed Graphic.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-18 04:29, rossjd wrote:
Gidday from Australia,
I have just joined your Forum and find this thread very interesting. I collect cameras and the reason I joined was that I have just picked up a Speed Graphic with supposedly interesting Movie history. The elderly chap I got it off was a photographer for a Melbourne Newpaper. When the film "on the Beach" with Gregory Peck was being made in Melbourne in 1957 they wanted a Speed Graphic to use as a prop. This is that camera. When the newspaper stopped using the Grapics the photographer grabbed this one as he knew it had history so to speak. It is in average condition with boxes of bits and pieces that he said were just going to be thrown out. Anyway I am hoping to restore this camera and if I can get in operating condition. I'm pretty sure it would work as it is but it has been sitting for many years.
These cameras are not very common in Australia although I'm sure they would have been once.
By the way, I haven't had a look at the movie yet to see if this story could maybe be right.
Cheers,
Ross.

Quote:

On 2004-06-18 05:15, sobahguy wrote:
Hello Ross and Welcome to the best damn site on the internet!!!

I have to say that you now have a great piece of history in your possession. It has been several years since I saw the 1959 version of "On The Beach" with Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. I don't recall seeing any Graphics in it, but then again it was so long ago that I probably wouldn't have necessarily been looking for any the way I do now. Perhaps I will try to find it for a rental and pay closer attention for your "new" Graphic!!! I also have seen it occasionally repeated on our cable network "American Movie Classics" so I'll keep an eye open for it there, too.

But it certainly is quite possible that the camera may have been in the film. According to the website imdb.com (Internet Movie Data Base) they list filming locations for "On The Beach." It states the following.......

Canadian Bay, Port Phillip, Victoria, Australia

Frankston Beach, Frankston, Victoria, Australia

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Well, I have just had an opportunity to watch “On The Beach” (1959) a couple of times in the past week. No sign of any Speed Graphics in the film, atleast not in close-ups. Perhaps there might have been some cameras in the crowd scenes near the end, which were basically just long, wide shots, photographed from a boom some distance above the ground.
jpmose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new movie "The Aviator" has a lot of Speed Graphics, from Top Handle to Pacemaker era.

This is a great movie about Howard Hughes. I highly recommend it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While viewing my new DVD of the HBO miniseries 'Band of Brothers' I noticed a Signal Corps photo team in episode 7. One shooter is using a Bell & Howell mopic camera and his partner has a black-paint Anny. Speed, both proper to the Signal Corps in the ETO circa early '45.
Graflex Sid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on THE AVIATOR winning the Golden Globe Award for the best picture...just packed with SPEED GRAPHICS.About time this camera won it's own award.
...and if it's not been mentioned before THE MAJESTIC (Jim Carrey.2001)in the scenes of the House Un-American Activities Committee,circa 1950s Hollywood,the biggest collection of Speed Graphics could be seen during the court room proceedings,being held by the pressmen.

It's good to see this great camera leave it's mark even in today's society.The Graphic camera has such a magnificent presence with it's distinguishing features that it's recognised by millions to this day.

The next time you are out,hold it with pride and think of it's history.No other camera has matched this greatness and never will...and STILL WORKING!.(producing wonderful photographs).

I rest my case,judge.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

Here's a Graphic Alert:

Cinderella Man, the movie about Depression-era boxer Jim Braddock directed by Ron Howard (Opie) and starring Russell Crowe, has tons of Graphics in the cast, judging from the previews I've seen. Looks like a good flick, besides.

Should debut in theatres soon.

--Micah in NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: