Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

graflite cord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerforce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a graflite flash for my 4x5 speed graphic. I still need to find clamps and cord to sync shutter and flash. Where can I find a cord for my flash? Also where can I find bulbs?

Stephen Furley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramount Cords for cables, Bill Cress (www.flashbulbs.com) also sells some, he has a wide range of bulbs.

Pacific Rim Camera have several sets of Graflite clamps listed on their site, or at least they did last week, They also have a large stock of bulbs.

There have been a lot of bulbs, sometimes full cases of a gross, coming up on Ebay recently.

Meggaflash in Ireland still make three types of large screw-cap bulbs, but they are not cheap. I don't know of anyone making smaller bulbs now.

Are you using the 5" reflector? If so, consider buying an adapter for the 'M' type bulbs, not 'M' class, but the M3 an M5 bulbs with the small metal cap, the M5 give almost as much light as a No.5 or press 25, and the M3 not a great deal less, and they can be found at much lower prices, not many people seem to want them. They also take a lot less space. M3 and M5 bulbs are both class 'M', 20ms, bulbs, M2 are faster for use with x-only sync at slow shutter speeds, these give a lot less light.

An 'M' type bulb in the adapter is the same lenght as a normal N0.5 or similar bulb, so it will align correctly with the reflector.

Hope this helps.

Stephen.

rangerforce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stephen for the info. I'm just learning about the flash side of the graflex and your info, eventhough I need to learn about the different bulbs, has helped alot. I'll let know know as I get the flash together how it's going.
By the way is there any "reuseable" bulbs on the market? More of a strobe light bulb that can be adapted to the hardware of the graflite flash unit. Thought this could save on bulbs by having a bulb that flashed like the modern flashes rather than a flash produced by overloading the bulbs illuminating capacity there by creating the flash similar to a light bulb when it burns out. Does that make since?????

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulbs were cheap and expendable, and a whole lot better than the predicessor--flash powder.

A few of the high end stobes use a xenon tube in a glass envelope. These look similar to very old radio tubes (4 pin on the bottom). You could cobble up a Graflite and one of these heads and end up with a strobe tube in place of the bulb. But you'll end up with a 6 pound pack on your shoulder and a much lighter wallet as the norman or lumedyne systems that use these tubes are expensive.

Plus you are going to have to know what you are doing because these packs put out a great deal of energy and if a wire gets crossed between the trip circuit and the high voltage circuit you could end up with a pricey hospital bill. One guy told me my NOrman 400 puts out twice the power of an in-hospital defribrilator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: