Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large Group Photo of 108 graduating seniors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryeisner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The students will be assembled in the gymnasium in their cap and gowns. Has any body any advice on the lighting. I think there will be 5 or 6 rows of approx. 22 students in each row. the potential problem is that the lights cannot be used at a 45 degree angle to the group and from high up, because, shadows from the tassels and from the top of the cap will fall on the neck of the students or possibly on the person next to them. those shadows can make the it look like everyone has dirt on their neck or perhaps a weird shape. My first thought is to use a single light at camera position, somewhat elevated, so that the shadows fall behind the students and a lower light also near camera to fill any shadows caused by the higher key light. i think this arrangement will be similar to the old theatrical plan of a key light from the balcony and a fill from the stage floor.

Can anyone describe a workable plan that they've used? That would be greatly appreciated as i have to do the shoot this week. Thanks for your help. Jerry Eisner
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old days, we'd have tackled it just as you propose, with the flash near the camera -- perhaps detached and held up a foot or two above the position of the lens. We'd have used a powerful flashbulb, like the #5, and "Tri-X." A hefty studio electronic flash or two ought to do just as well, or even better, if you plan to use a reasonably fast film.
djon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot a lot of film to maximize your odds of getting a shot with easily minimized bird-flipping and face-making.

Be sure to shoot a few after thay think you've shot...fake em' out.

Been there, done that: My very first 4X5 money shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: