Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens I.D. and use.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron grover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently sold a Graphic body with a roll film back (no lens) thinking I'd never get another complete. Have since bought one with a lens that does not seem to focus on the glass. Lens is a Graphex made by Wollensak for Graflex inc. "Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm.".
Is this good and is there some reason I cannot get a clear image on the glass?
Any help would be appreciated.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would do is clean the lens, remove each element group from the shutter but not remove the cells unless they are foged. Holding toward a celing or table lamp bulb should do the trick. Once the lens is clean and reassembled check the ground glass and remove and wash with mild soap if necessary. Yes I've seen some that after setting for many years had that kind of a white hase that semed stuck there. The next step would be to check the bellows for light leaks. I extend the bellows to maximun, set a mini mag to spot at 1 to 2 inches, turn off the lights, and insert the flashlight inside the bellows and run the 4 edges the full length. Hope this helps.
daleraby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to move the infinity stops as well, especially if the lens is not the one that was on the camera originally. If you cannot get it in focus at any distance, the stops are too close to the film plane.
ron grover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. Will clean it up. Please advise if roll film backs are cheaply available. They are scarce in Aussie.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reply is if the lens or gg are obiously dirty or hazy. Dalerayb's if focus can't be achieved. I am a high level technican and handleing deleciate small parts is no problem for me. Please exercise caution.

Check the other resources section of this site. It has many good listing and link pages. If after searching them try EBAY, USA. There are 18 pages of large format stuff as of today, with 4 or 5 rollfilm backs for graffic cameras.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-05 00:57, ron grover wrote:
I have recently sold a Graphic body with a roll film back (no lens) thinking I'd never get another complete. Have since bought one with a lens that does not seem to focus on the glass. Lens is a Graphex made by Wollensak for Graflex inc. "Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm.".
Is this good and is there some reason I cannot get a clear image on the glass?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry to be such a total idiot, but have you done the first obvious check, looking through the lens to see how dirty it is? And the second one too? Rough-and-ready focal length check, use the lens (off the camera) to image a lamp across the room on a wall? I ask about this last because I recently had a long discussion with a Leica/Rollei expert about why our 45/4.5 Mikrotars behaved so differently. Got him to run the focal length test, his came up unbelievably short, missing element as it turned out.

Cheers,

Dan
ron grover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a d/h. I have used a Graphic previously for c/up work but some 20 years ago. Just realised the two rail stops were not up to stop lens travel. Now focuses. But still confused why lens at this stage is nearly still in the body. When using one years ago, I remember the lens and bellows way out front. Different lens?
Anyway, thanks all for your advice. Everything is clean.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some strange reason that one could write a book about, lens focus their focal length from the film plane. If you have a 3" lens it will focus at 75mm; a 4" at 100mm; a 10cm at 100mm ( 10cm=100mm). 1"=25mm. A older 90mm might be marked 3.5in. (").
C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: