Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my first Graflex Crown camera and I am very excited about it. The problem is that I have never used a medium format camera. I have been doing 35 mm b/w for the past 10 years and am ready to move on. I am living in a small town in Alaska with no sources nearby for help.
The first problem that I am having is opening the camera. Next I am looking for suggestions of all sorts. My old college professor has given me some suggestions but I am looking for more. I am in the process of building darkroom in my classroom up here and am looking for ideas of what I would need to be able to develop 4x5 negatives. I have been informed to watch out for static electricity when taking pictures in extremely cold weather. (I will be in negative degree temperatures for a long time)
Any and all suggestions are welcomed. The most basic things are what I need now, i.e. how to use the camera properly. I will be going to Anchorage in two weeks and I would like to pick up chemicals, paper and whatever I need then.
Thank you very much for your help with a rookie who is just trying to discover other ways of taking pictures.
Sincerely,
Jason
Oblio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To open, look on the top of the camera next to the viewfinder (if you have one) for a little bump in the center under the leatherette. Press on the bump and ... Voilla !
This works on a Crown Graphic 2x3.
P.S. - I had to seach the net to open mine the first time too (I think I found the answer here).

[ This Message was edited by: Oblio on 2001-11-09 17:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Oblio on 2001-11-09 17:20 ]
crvogt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could write volumes, to answer your questions. Thankfully others have already written it for me. Two of the best books covering all aspects of Graflex photograpy are "Photographer's Mate 3& 2" Navy Training course Navpers 10355 This was THE BOOK for Naval and (us) Marine Corps photographers
Great sections on using Graflex Cameras.
The second is GRAPHIC GRAFLEX PHOTOGRAPHY by Morgan & Lester loads of gread graflex infomation. You can find these older books in used bookstores or on line auctions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1295623870

For developing the 4X5 film a sheet film tank is handy FR Adjustable cut-film tank
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1293119459

To dry the film hang with film clips, or small spring clothes pins on a string.

Note: the links to the Ebay items are not recommdations nor suggestions to purchase thoes specific items. They are typical examples of SEVERAL of these items, use a search to find the others. Price, condition, may vary greatly use your own best Judgement!!

Hope this helps

Carl@carlvogt.com
http://www.carlvogt.com
Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with carl about the books, you might want to try http://www.abebooks.com bibliofind or Bookfinder for the navy manuals.

I actually prefer the yankee agitank over the FR tank but I'm spliting hairs.

Any photo store with darkroom supplies will be able to direct you to the necessary chemicals for processing film and paper. Try looking for used trays in good condition. I bought cheap Yankee plastic trays 20years ago and as long as you don't step on them and wash them out at the end of the night they will be as good if not better than any stainless steel, porclain, or kodak tray.

Ask around town who was doing darkroom stuff 20 or 30 years ago, chances are they still have it (if you were closer to a city I'd say check the classifieds)

If you can find a Kodak Darkroom guide, they will have processing times and different developers (newer stuff is on line at kodak.com search for the specific film)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: