Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aero Ektars and Radioactivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

The subject of radioactivity and Aero Ektars was addressed on the helpboard a few weeks ago. There is some very interesting coverage on the subject at the following website address (it should be noted that a hyperlink will take you to an Ektar page that has a lot of interesting information):

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/radioactive.html

Happy reading!

JP Mose

JP Mose
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-10-26 10:38, jpmose wrote:
Greetings,

The subject of radioactivity and Aero Ektars was addressed on the helpboard a few weeks ago. There is some very interesting coverage on the subject at the following website address (it should be noted that a hyperlink will take you to an Ektar page that has a lot of interesting information):

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/radioactive.html

Happy reading!

JP Mose

I know it's been a while since your post, but I just had to now respond...

I found all this info very interesting. Oddly enough, it was a bubble conversation that made me look up some Minolta documentation because I thought there was a mention there of how they controlled bubbles in their glass. What I found was a PR comment about how they used "rare earth elemnts" including thorium and lanthanum! Since my LF lenses showed no signs of radioactivity, I thought I was 'safe'. Now I checked my other lenses... All okay, even the Minoltas, except one Sigma! An 18mm old lens is deffinitely radioactive! Upwards of 2 mR/hr at close range. Not much in the grand scheme of things, but a good 100 times background levels. Maybe that's why that lens always performed so well? But I will be seriously considering replacing it now. Thanks! And maybe a reminder that most people should check theirs too? It's not just LF lenses!

Rich...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: