Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a Decent Graphic View

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shutterfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble finding a Graphic View, I have noticed that the super speed's and others are easier to find. Can anyone recommend a site that has any of these in stock?

Thanks
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be difficult to find at a 'dealer', but Midwest occasionally has them. Less often, KEH will have one. You just have to keep looking until one pops up.

I would suggest you go for a Graphic View II. It has a much longer rail & bellows extension along with center axis tilts and very often a Graflok back.

Just make sure the camera is complete (lens optional) with the tripod mount and in good condition. If you can find one with the original case, you're ahead of the game!

45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:11 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, "Graphic Views" turn up on eBay a lot -- if you don't see what you're looking for, try again tomorrow or the next day!

What I have not seen listed anywhere is the "Crown View," temptingly discussed on this site (I had not previously heard of it). I have never seen one, and I have been looking.

Having used a "View II" for many, many years, I can attest to its fine performance. The axial tilts and "Graflok" back are great conveniences, and the two inches of additional rail length can be important in close-up work, and with longer lenses.

I just got a "View I" -- I hope to amuse myself in my declining years by learning how to work with base tilts -- and am waiting for my life to become a bit less complex, and for the weather to moderate, before trying it out. It does seem to me that the shorter rail will make it easier to devise a carrying-case for it, and the base tilt system may be just a tad more rigid than the axial tilts on the "View II."

They are both well-thought-out, well-made and handsome cameras. I'd amend the observation of a frequent contributor to this site by saying, rather, "you can't have too many 'Graphic Views' of whatever kind."
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:11 ]
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown Views (wood field camera) have shown up on eBay occasionally. I have seen a half dozen of them listed in the past several years. They do seem to be rare and I seem to remember that most were listed in the "vintage" category.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Crown Views listed right now! Bert
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Shuart (www.stephenshuart.com) has both a GV I and II. His prices seem out of line, or I would have bought the I as I would like to have one to compliment my II. He wants something like $495 for the II and $300 for the I. No lens on either but I think they do have cases. No word on accessories or that they are complete.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two "Crown Views" now on eBay (thanks for the heads up!) -- one with a starting bid of a modest $895, but it does come with a 7-1/2 inch f:6.3 Ilex "Paragon" lens.(I have owned an 8-1/2 inch f:4.5 "Paragon" since about 1968, and I have never wanted another one.) The other seems to have had its back modified in some way that the seller understands, but I don't.

In the few transactions I've had with Stephen Shuart, he has impressed me as an honorable dealer. I wouldn't buy a $75 "Pacemaker" rangefinder cam from him, nor a $500 "Graphic View," but he has to keep this stuff in inventory until somebody comes along and wants it, and there's a cost associated with doing that.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...BTW, there are four or five "View II" cameras, most with lenses, up right now, and a couple would tempt me if I needed another one.
mkrouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing recently in a local camera shop and someone dropped off this View II on consignment. It is now my son's birthday present. Pretty lucky because it is in very fine shape.

http://www.pbase.com/marc60biker/inbox

danimal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Steve Shuart's website has been down for weeks. I think he's out of business.
Dan
GerWP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote the Crown View article a few years ago, they were going for about $200 to $250. The price seems to have doubled since then. Nice camera. Not as versatile as the Graphic View, but lighter. And pretty, IMHO. I still have both of mine, and plan on keeping them.

Regards,

Gerald
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-11-25 12:58, GerWP wrote:
When I wrote the Crown View article a few years ago, they were going for about $200 to $250. The price seems to have doubled since then. Nice camera. Not as versatile as the Graphic View, but lighter. And pretty, IMHO. I still have both of mine, and plan on keeping them.

Regards,

Gerald

Indeed, Crown Views are very pretty and I hope to buy one someday... But my GVII's will suffice until then

The prices fluctuate radically. But 4-500 would seem right to me. I tend to think many of these cameras are worth far more than they generally go for, ummm, except when I want to buy one

It's just too bad the Crown View never came in 8x10 or I would really go out of my way to get one... Luckily for me, they also made the Century Universal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: