Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex 250 Strobe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stilagrrl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I recently purchased a Graflex 250 strobe and battery pack (the non-nicad version) to use on my Speed Graphic and Graflex XL. After searching through this forum, I see that B&H sells the proper 510v battery for around $70. Does anyone know about many full powered flashes I can expect per battery? I may try to find a nicad battery pack and cable, but before I do that, I would like to play around with it for a bit.

Has anyone tried to modify one of these to accept something like a Quantum Turbo? I thought about stripping away everything except the tube and then mounting a Lumedyne head on it, but I could probably just buy a piece of PVC pipe to do that.

Rachel

clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have info on the Graflex 250, but this info may be helpful re the number of flashes from a 510-volt battery. Several Heiland/Honeywell Strobonars used the 510-volt battery, and, according to a guide I have, The Eveready #497 or equivalent 510-volt battery should give more than 1600 flashes with normal intermittent use.. This is for a flash that has energy storage of 40 watt-seconds, a Strobonar 63A, The same battery pack was also used with a 71A with twice the power, 80 watt-seconds, but no info given on number of flashes from the battery. With twice the power, the number of flashes would be considerably less. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strobe 500 is rated at 1000 full power discharges from a fresh battery to reach a 1/2 stop down from fresh battery.

Somewhere I downloaded a copy of the Strobe250 user manual which says 1500 flashes per battery. Light output is 75 watt seconds.

I had to wait 3 years before I found a Singer Strobe 250 RG pack on ebay. I did not monitor flash equipement so they may come up sooner. I works fine now that I have repalced the NiCad's but runs down between uses (two to three weeks) even if disconnected and turned off. This may be normal operation.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be leery of any 510v battery unless I could pick it up from the factory and see it come off the line.

chances are good that battery has sat around longer than the Maytag repairman.
Stilagrrl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your very helpful input on the 510v battery. Les, your point is well taken regarding the possible age of even a new battery. However, given that I need the battery and that I don't have any real way of knowing how long it's been on the shelf, I guess I'll just have to roll the dice.

Take Care,
Rachel
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would be glad to know about a modern replacement for the PF497 510V. dry battery.

My late lamented Honeywell "65D Strobonar" came with the PF497 pack standard. When Honeywell introduced its "Permacad" rechargeable power pack for later "Strobonars," it thoughtfully included a switch that selected a power output suitable for the earlier "65D."

Unfortunately, the Quantum "Turbo" packs do not have that switch, although they will power later "Strobonars" just as the "Permacad" pack does.

Some discussion of contemporary portable power supplies that will work with early high-voltage flashguns like the "Stroboflash I" would be very welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: