Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

120 roll film back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumarb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1947 speed graphic model 23 with a graflex back. I would like to buy a 120 roll film back. Will the graflex back acept a 120 roll film back or will I have to acquire a Graflok back first?
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty about the "Graphic" back is that you have to remove two bolts to remove the focusing panel and, after you've done that, you have no way to hold an accessory in place.

There have been long, flat rollfilm adapters made, which retain both spools at the extreme right end and lead the film around a long loop through a flat box that fits under the focusing panel, just as a sheetfilm holder does. I've not seen one of these made for cameras smaller than 4x5, but I wouldn't be surprised if some were; there seems to be no physical reason not do do it.

Alternatively, one can imagine a mechanical disposition that would replace the focusing panel, held in place by the two bolts, and consisting of top and bottom flanges (or pairs of spring-steel fingers) that would hold a Graflex rollfilm adapter in place. I am told that Graflex made such a thing, and some of the threads on this board will suggest homemade approximations. This all would be annoying if you intended to compose and focus on the groundglass, but all would be smooth sailing if you proposed to use the frame or optical viewfinder and rangefinder -- you'd temporarily have converted the instrument to a rollfilm camera.

Otherwise, as you observe, you can look for a "Graflok" back and foward-fit it to your camera. The hard part is finding the back at a realistic price!
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember seeing roll film holders that fit the 2X3 Graflex back but they seem to be an extremely rare item. If you are going to shoot a lot of film with this camera, you may be better off to look for a Graflok back. They are not easy to find and are expensive. I bought one today for a custom 2X3 Speed that I built last year. Paid 113.00 and was glad to get it. I may have an alternative. Leave me a private message.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you have is, in fact, a "Graflex" back, it might be a pleasant weekend project to replace the existing rails, slides and light trap with homemade ones that will accept accessories made for the "Graflok" back.

It certainly would be easier to hunt up a "Graflok" back and have done with it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: