Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't Secure Film Holder to Camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weemster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still fairly new at this game, so every shot is an adventure.

I have a ton of the "Fidelity Custom" double sided holders. My problem is, I can't seem to lock them firmly to the back of my Crown. I'm embarrassed to say how many sheets I've ruined while trying to push/pull the dark slide in or out and accidently knocking the holder off the back.

Is there something I'm missing here? I would like to carry my Crown around town in my hands and get some old school press shots, but I'm afraid if I bump it the wrong way the back will pop off.

Additionally, in bright sunlight, I seem to get fogging on the corners of the negs. I'm assuming this is also due to improper seating of the film back.

Any tips on to to securely fasten these backs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, are you inserting the film holders UNDER the focusing panel? If you are, then I don't understand how the film holders are coming loose when you pull the slide.

Please describe for us in more detail your operation of the camera. Something's wrong somewhere [as if I had to tell you!!!].
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the focus panel in place, then there is no need to remove it to place the film holder on the camera, alls you do is lift it and slide the film holder under the focus panel and then remove the dark slide when your ready to shoot.

Dave

glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you have a ground glass focus panel. My first guess is that in order to put on the film holder, you have to remove the focus panel, right? How am I doing so far? If I'm guessing correctly, you have a Graflex back and you are trying to get the slides to hold modern film holders. Sorry, that won't work. The GraFLEX back will only accept the slotted Graflex (NOT Graphic) film holders.
Guess number 2: You have a GrafLOK back and you are trying to get the sliders to hold the film holder. Sorry, that won't work, too. The holder is held on by inserting it under the spring loaded focus panel, assuming you have one. You need to do some reading on this site about the different backs available on these cameras to gain an understanding of the differences.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
weemster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted some pictures of my Crown. I hope this will help in clarifying my problem.

http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~weems/crown.htm

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Mike
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's your method of operation which is at fault, judging by the first pic showing the filmholder w/o the spring back. You have been [unsuccessfully] attaching your filmholders via the Graflok sliders, after removing the spring back. Put the back on, then pull it out on the right side and insert your filmholder between it and the camera. Push in until it snaps into place.

I think you'll find the camera works a lot better that way. The Graflok back [that is removing the spring back and using the sliders] is used primarily for roll film backs, or accessories which are too thick to insert under the spring back.

Now you can concentrate on making those great Graphic pics you're seeking.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2004-07-08 19:10 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reinforce what my our friend Alecj said; reference your posted photos: 2nd from top shows a top RF Crown with graflok and focusing panel with hood attached.
Holding camera as if pausing between shots (back facing you) locate the two wings on the right side of the focus panel. Pull back on the wings a little and insert the film holder, darkslide handles to the right, between the focus panel and back frame. Push in until you hear/feel a click and pulling outward on the film holder it will not move/come out of the camera. To remove the film holder after taking the shot, pull back on the wing(s) then back on the film holder then pull out.
If the light trap ridge on the film holder or the back becomes worn enough then the film holder will jump out if pulled on. If you just pull back on the film holder then out the film holder may start to seperate at the top to side seam and create a light leak in the film holder.
If you need to lubercate the back so holders slide in easier then use paraffin or household wax not the Crisco above the camera.

Happy shooting!

weemster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got it. I never would have thought of that in a million years. Now everything makes a whole lot more sense.

This will probably solve my soft focus issues as well, I presume.

Thanks a million!

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: