Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shooting J&C Classic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FixerFiend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I've been shooting a good deal of the J&C Classic 200 lately in 4x5 and was wondering if anyone else noticed an inordinate amount of base fog with this emulsion.I've been developing with HC 110 in open trays and am new to this so I don't have a lot of experience to compare. I have shot some Efke 100 in 2x3 and that cleared fine. I'm using a water pre-soak and there is plenty of the anti- halation dye in there so I know its not dye. Anyone had any similar experiences? My loading technique seems alright since the efke wasn't fogged and it's happened to all the J&C 200 I've shot. I don't wanna blame the film if it's me. Anyone???
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different films have different levels of BF. What happens when you print the negatives?
xyzphoto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to develop some of this film for the first time, also using HC 110. Am not qualified to shed any light on your question but obviously am interested in the answer to your problem. What is base fog? And does the kind of fixer used have any effect on your situation?
FixerFiend

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually to answer the fixer question, I' used kodafix for a good 5:00 minutes so I don't suspect I didn't get it cleared sufficiently. Last night I did developed some using D-76 and got the same result??I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used this film.Thanks. Oh, base fog is a procuct of the chemacal reaction of the developer.Some is unavoidable and as mentioned above different films have different amounts. This is why when testing density you have to account for the base fog for that perticular dev/fil combination.

[ This Message was edited by: FixerFiend on 2004-06-09 19:24 ]
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XYZ;
In theory the clear, unexposed edges of the film should have zero density but in the real world some things are more dense than others.

Also in theory, the silver in the clear area should be washed away by the fixer as it was unexposed. In reality there is always some development of the silver even in the unexposed areas. Different developers and film combinations will have different effects. If you ever get to reading the Zone system or the origins of the ASA basis you will see the term BASE +FOG. If i remember correctly in the Zone system the darkest black was .05 above base +fog

45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a sheet of unexposed film, develop and fix it in your developer/fixer combo and you will have a full sheet of base + developer fog to evaluate.
If you can hold a partical sheet stable in your tank then you could cut a sheet into half or thirds and try different dilutions or developers without using up a lot of film.

and lastly, Use Hypo Check and make sure your fixer is not exhausted.
charles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: