Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Cycle film holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is familiar with the Cycle Graphic, could you enlighten me as to what type of film holders will work on this old 4x5 woody. It looks like it may use the same as the older Graflex back,like the wood sheet film holders maybe, but don't want to guess too much.
Thanks
Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two RB cycle Graphics and one Graphic (not the Graphic Sr. or Graphic Jr., just Graphic)

They all take Graphic holders, though my 5x7 keeps modern FILM holders from working because the slot is to short by 1/32" or less. I chalk this up to manufacturing tolerances, not a design change, the light traps are definitely GRAPHIC, not GRAFLEX.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les,

So we are talking the same as anything that will slide under the Graphic spring back and Graflok? In other words, even a Grafmatic for the Graphic 45 series (1268)?
Sorry for the repitition. I will be needing some backs also in the future for a R.B.Graflex B, but do not have that machine yet and expect the shutter and things to need maintenance. looked like a reasonably clean and intact unit so got it for a hundred bucks.
regards,
Stephen
Les

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we assume that there were only two types of film holders, the Graphic Type which became the standard film holder and the Graflex type which is commonly referred to as "Goovy"

Then they Cycle Graphic will take Graphic holders and the Graflex B will take Graflex or Groovy holders.

Now that's also assuming that the dimensions of each of these holders didn't vary from 1900 to 1950. With that idea in mind then yes the #1268 Grafmatic SHOULD fit. But experience tells me there is a chance during those 50 years that the standard width might have gotten a smidge wider and that the Grafmatic might be a tight squeeze.

A similar thing was discovered with the smaller 2x3 Grafmatics. The Graphic version has the grooves so that it can fit Graflex backs, and I have proven that they will fit Graflex backs, [bold] on Graphic cameras [/bold] but somebody else found out they won't fit on a Graflex Series B, which is why they also made a Graflex version of the 2x3 Grafmatic.

Bottom line, you'll need two sets of holders, one for the Cycle one for the Series B and i wouldn't bet more than a cup of coffee that a Grafmatic made in 1950 will fit a Graphic camera made in 1900 even though they are supposed to.

Les

troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Les,
No need to gamble, as the coffee is on me. However, the closest I will be to Detroit in the near future is the Utah Canyons in Fall.
The Graflex is coming with some film holders I can mess around with, and I did note that I will need a "groovy" grafmatic for that by reading more on the site. I have a Grafmatic Graphic 45 back on the way for my Crown and noted the raised rib on my Graflex 23 roll back with the 4x5 adapter plate (as also noted on the later 2x3 Graflok backs).
When I get all this stuff here I will certainly have plenty to sort out, but most importantly want to keep the cameras original as I have noted many people modifiy them.
the next thing to do is figure out how to work, and if it works, the old B&L lens on the Cycle. It appears to be of the older series as the name say "division" rather than "department" as noted in other posts on cycles. It has those pneumatic actuators on the shutter front. I will be posting that in a couple days on the lens board.
regards,
Stephen

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2004-04-29 08:59 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: