Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic Shutter Cord problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
office888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a brand new paramount "Household to graflex bipost" flash cord on ebay, then soon realized that it's not compatible with my crown graphic. Does anyone know where i can buy a cheap Household-to-Solenoid cord or users that are willing to trade a shutter cord for a solenoid cord?

Other things i bought:
7" Reflector
3-cell Graflite w/ manual (New in box)
Sylvania Press 40 Flashbulbs

(I'm kinda new to graflex cameras)

[ This Message was edited by: office888 on 2004-03-02 13:09 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Paramount household plug-to-Graflex-solenoid cord from Paramount for $36 (for 3 feet, $38 for 5 feet). Paramount makes wonderful cords, and you should get years and years of use from one.

Thirty years ago, these cords were all over the place, and a dealer couldn't give them away. If you have any surviving old-line camera stores near you, you might ask them -- if they have a couple, they will be very glad to see you!

You also might try Pacific Rim Camera and some of the other retailers you can link to from this site.

Meanwhile, does your "Graphic" have a lens in a synchronized shutter and, if it does, what kind of contact(s) does it use?
office888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at the Crown Graphic i bought at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2986916041

t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture shows a "Graphex" shutter with the usual bipost synch connector. Will not your Paramount cord connect those to the flashgun? Internal synchronization is more reliable than what's attainable with the solenoid (originally devised to allow the use of flashbulbs with unsynchronized shutters).

Of course, the solenoid is extremely useful as a remote release.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Office888. See your private messages.

BTW, I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of your shutter cord. Your solenoid may, or may not, be in correct sync for flashbulbs. They are easy to get out of sync. Fred Lustig says Graphex shutters should be adjusted to sync EITHER with a solenoid tripper, or sync through the shutter sync outlets.

I choose to shoot flashbulbs using the solenoid as an electronic shutter release, while using the regular shutter cord to sync the flash back to the battery case. Takes 2 cords, but the flash is ALWAYS in sync. YMMV.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2004-03-03 13:13 ]
office888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute...Does the standard Bipost hook about halfway up on the left side of the lens to the two prongs? If so, i'm such an idiot! *laughs*

Is it possible to use both a bipost AND a solenoid tripper for increased accuracy?

[ This Message was edited by: office888 on 2004-03-04 06:35 ]
alecj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-03 10:16, t.r.sanford wrote:
That picture shows a "Graphex" shutter with the usual bipost synch connector. Will not your Paramount cord connect those to the flashgun? Internal synchronization is more reliable than what's attainable with the solenoid (originally devised to allow the use of flashbulbs with unsynchronized shutters).

Of course, the solenoid is extremely useful as a remote release.

Are you asking if the bi-post cord connects to those two prongs on your lens? If so, the answer is "yes", that's where your shutter feeds the sync to the battery case.

But that doesn't give you a connection to the solenoid. For that you need another cord - solenoid to HH. And, as mentioned above by me and by someone else, that will ensure an accurate sync.

In operation, with both cords attached, you'd then trip the shutter using the button on your Graflite battery case [I see you got a Kodak Ektalux flash unit with your original camera purchase - if you have the cord for it, it will work too, but not with that Graflex solenoid on the camera.] When the shutter fires, it will complete the flash circuit with the battery case using the Paramount Cord you bought, and the bulb should flash. "Nothing can go wrong"
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two prongs on the shutter ARE the standard bipost...

In practice, you have to use either the shutter's internal synchronization or the solenoid to synchronize the flash; there is no way to use both simultaneously. But you certainly can use the solenoid as a remote or "soft" shutter trip, as a previous post advises, and as I do.
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a cord with an end with 2 small holes that would mate with the bipost prongs on the side of the shutter? If so, that's what that cord is used for. The household fitting on the other end of that cord should mate with the "shutter" outlet on the 3-cell battery case.

As Alec referred to earlier (since your first post in this thread states that you have bought a new-in-box Graflite flashgun, 7-inch reflector & manual) it is possible to use the red button on the battery case to trip the shutter via solenoid; this in turn causes the shutter to fire the flashbulb (via bipost prongs) using the shutter's built-in flash sync. This arrangement requires 2 cords: one cord from the battery case-to-solenoid and another cord from the bipost prongs back to the battery case. Then set the electroswitch on the Graflite to "1" position and the flash sync selector on the shutter to either the red "M" or the black "M", depending on the shutter speed you are using.

[ This Message was edited by: sobahguy on 2004-03-04 07:26 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: