Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storing film on the road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a newbie question but I'm still fairly new to LF photography.

To date I've only used Ready/Quickload film in my Crown but want to use some other films (e.g., Scala, Velvia, Plus-X, Tri-X, etc.). I'm planning a 9 or 10 day trip to the east coast of Canada in may to shoot lighthouses/landscapes/waterfalls/whatever else strikes my eye. Most of the shooting will be on 35mm/MF but I will be taking the 4x5 as well. I have 3, two-sided film holders and am looking at maybe 2-4 sheets/day. I will be taking my changing bag to load/unload the holders.

So, what do you do in the field to store and manage your exposed sheets till you get home and get them to the lab?

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The informal old practice was to use a film box. When you load your holders, you keep the thin black paper interleaving sheets, and you bring along an empty box. Suppose you have five holders. You expose the film in them, then unload them in a daylight changing bag and stack the exposed films, sandwiched with the interleaving sheets, in the empty box (with its light trap insert). Then you reload the holders from the full box. If you're using several types of film, you bring along several empty boxes, prominently marked. It's not elegant, but it's economical and straightforward!
BobF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. this is basically what I was thinking of doing. I won't have room for several boxes but had planned on using different lightsafe bags (either from film or paper), labelled for each type of film and then storing them either inside a single box or inside a larger lightsafe bag. Each new exposed sheet would get put on the bottom of the pile. I'd also planned on using an index page for each type of film that I'd give to the lab that would have film type and processing instructions for each sheet in the bag.

It's good to have confirmation that my original thought process was basically correct.

[ This Message was edited by: BobF on 2004-03-06 11:20 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds workable. You might want to discuss the exact method of organizing the film with the lab people, to find out what will be easiest for them.

I'm not sure whether a "lightsafe bag" is a commercial product, or something you propose to fabricate (you might make good ones from the foil envelopes supplied with enlarging paper, if you tested each carefully with a piece of bromine paper in bright sunlight in order to prove that it really is lightproof).
BobF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R., the "lightsafe" bag I'm referring to is the black bag that sheet film comes in or the bag that enlarging paper comes in, yes. I suspect that my lab will likely have a few kicking around or I can get some from friends if I don't have enough.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I get extra light-safe bags:

http://www.adorama.com/DKSTB.html

Fred
BobF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Very cool, Fred. Thanks. I thought there might be something like that available but hadn't begun looking for it yet.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ItemsDisplay?catalogId=10101&departmentId=10403&itemID=42299&categoryId=10431

You could try that but personally I like the idea of boxes. The nested boxes make me feel better. I know you can do the same thing with bags. A bag inside a bag. The second bag turned at a 90degree angle to the first.

[ This Message was edited by: Nick on 2004-03-08 05:13 ]
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or at a 180° angle!

It might be convenient to transport the storage packets, whatever they are, in your daylight changing bag, to keep them out of harm's way.
BobF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, not sure what you were linking to at Henrys. The link took me to a bunch of pages of filters.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it. That's better-)
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I jump in here with another question or two on this thread???

I too intend to take my 4x5 Crown out on the road in the near future for the first time, and while I am very comfortable with my 2x3 graphics, I am concerned with the stability of Velvia and or Provia films. Temperatures will be fluctuating from the hundreds down to near freezing depending on which trailhead I leave the car at, camp or elevation etc... I can purchase fresh Fuji films in Bishop at the Galen Rowell gallery in 120, but think I will have to order 4x5 from B&H prior to heading out. I am hesitant to think an icechest an asset because of condensation, but thought I could use a small lunch cooler, without ice, in moderating the extremes. Sorry for the babble, I just don't how much the film can take. Since I have about ten doublesided holders, I would only have to reload once or twice, and the above info has been helpfull. I am glad I havee been saving my print paper bags and have a couple tripple boxes I will use to mail to lab. Does anyone think mailing my film would be a problem. I do not know if they are subjected to xrays or whatever. I will be shooting a lot of Fuji color 120 also. So any assitance will be appreciated. I am assuming I am being overly cautious, but thought I better ask.
Thanks,
Steve

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2004-03-28 00:20 ]
BobF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, film is mailed all the time for processing with no problems. If you're not going to be using marked film mailers and don't want to risk irradiation then using a courier service such as FedEx is an option. Clearly mark the package as "Unprocessed Photographic Film - Do Not X-Ray" and it should be fine even if you do sent it through the regular post. Being in Canada, I've ordered film from the U.S. on several occasions with no problems.

With respect to temperature extremes, short exposures to high heat won't make a difference. If you have to leave film in your car for an extended period (where temperatures can get quite a bit hotter than they are outside), say more than a couple hours, then a cooler or ice chest is a good way to go. Condensation shouldn't be a problem provided that the film is packaged well and allowed to warm up for at least an hour or two before using it. Put the film (or loaded film holder in the case of 4x5) in a resealable freezer bag and leave it in the bag while it warms up. Any condensation will form on the freezer bag and not affect the film.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bob,
I have never had a problem with pro-35mm films. The car sits at the trailhead for up to 8-days sometimes. Thanks for the tips on mailing. There must be a Fed-ex pickup in Bishop or Mammoth,or surely arragnements can be made somewhere.

I have had some interesting expereinces at the airport these laast couple years, but the guy at the camera store told me to just throw a roll or two of high speed film in with my stuff and they will have to hand check without arguing with me. you probably already knew this, but what the heck...

regards,
stephen
BobF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, I've been through several airports on many different occasions since the TSA took over airport security. I've yet to have a problem having my film handchecked on request.

The TSA rules indicate that a handcheck will be granted on request. Now, if you're arrogant and pushy, they'll make it difficult on you. But..... if you make it easy for them you shouldn't (stress shouldn't - there are no guarantees) have a problem. For 35mm film, I take it out of the box and canister and put the film cartridges in a clear resealable bag. Same for 120 but leave it in the foil wrapper. Have the film out of your bag and in your hand when you're in line at security. As you get to the front of the line, simply hand the bags of film to the security agent and politely request that they hand inspect it. As I said, this approach has yet to fail me on roughly 18 trips through airports in the last couple years (both in Canada and the U.S.).

For the 4x5 film, I'm going to leave it in the paper envelopes till I get to my location before loading holders. This way they'll clearly be able to see that it's film and it shouldn't be a problem. On the way home, I'll have it all in several lightsafe bags and will have to hope they accept my labeling of the bags with the different film types. I figure with 70 lbs of camera gear on my back it should be fairly convincing. Time will tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: