Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fresnel and Ground Glass Orientation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkrouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphic View II:

What side of the fresnel lens and which side of the ground glass face forward toward the camera lens?

Is the fresnel lens closer to the camera lens than the ground glass?

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-03-29 13:23, mkrouse wrote:
Graphic View II:

What side of the fresnel lens and which side of the ground glass face forward toward the camera lens?

Is the fresnel lens closer to the camera lens than the ground glass?

This topic has been discussed many times, which you could finds using the search feature...

The factory "Ektalite" screen is placed on the inside, in-between the GG and lens. It also has the grooves in the lens facing the GG. So the grooves in the freznel would touch the frosting of the GG and be inside the camera.

mkrouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rich,

I spent several hours reading posts in the archives from both this forum and photo.net, looking for the definitive answer. There was nothing but conflicting testimony. Manufacture differences. Preferences, arguments, measuring discussions, shim machining, focus plane movement, outside the camera, inside the camera, loupe scratching of the fresnel plastic, etc.

I thought that asking this question, in this forum, for this specific camera would result in a specific answer for the Graphic View. I'm new to LF. New to the Graphic View. New to this forum. There is always the possibility that previous owners of my camera may have assembled it incorrectly and I wanted the facts straight.

Thanks for your View specific answer.

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry mkrouse, you will get the 'you could have used the search' feature answer quite a bit around here, but normally you do get an answer about what your looking for anyway. and if you ever have a problem, feel free to drop me a note and I will help ya out.

Dave
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, sorry, you seem to have taken my message a bit wrong. I just thought you could get more info by reading the other messages previously posted here. Some of the discussions were very interesting. As with the other threads you've apparently seen, there are many different opinions about freznels, and whether or not to even use them. But graflex had their specific way of assembly and I don't know anyone who compains about it.

I would also recommend you download the service manual for the View II. It conatins all the tech info you're likely to need, including the assembly of the graflok back and viewing panel. You can get that from http://www.southbristolviews.com at the bottom left menu under Gralfex manuals.

And if that doesn't answer any other questions, someone here will be more than happy to, even if they do suggest the dreaded 'search'

Rangemaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

did not take your message wrong, just was letting him know it was not that big of a deal, when I first started comming here, I got that on basically every question I asked, so I did not come back for a long time, which actually worked out good for me as I got to study under a guy who had been shooting a graphic camera for his living since the 20's and his father covered WW1 with a graphic camera, so I really got to learn a lot about these older cameras. Sorry if I offended, did not mean to.

Dave
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a whole bunch of misunderstandings My reply was for mkrouse(sp) as I thought he may have been slightly ut off by my reply. I took your message apparently as you described. Two brownie points for me I guess

It is sometimes very difficult to type someting that could easily be spoken, and I very often forget to drop in a 'smiley' where it's needed. We usually get things straightened out though. The group that hangs out here is by far the best of any forum I've ever been to and I hpe it stays that way!

Cudos on the mentor! I would love to just sit down and talk to an old press photographer for a few hours. I'm one of those odd people who loves stories... Sorry to hear you were put off here for a while. Maybe it takes some getting used to? And maybe that's why I like it here? No, not your leaving The sometimes strange sense of humor that floats through the messages...

cameracamel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just came back after a year or so when I was last here. I hope to be a regular now, sharing information with everybody!
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, things have been great around here the last year and lots and I do mean LOTS of great information posted...

Dave
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:09 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: