Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading tool use on Yankee daylight tank?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all,

I just got my "new" Yankee adjustable daylight tank (for up to) 4x5 today. I bought one off eBay, which I assume is used--no box--but it's very clean and odorless if it has seen "soup."

It seems all the pieces came with it except for perhaps the most important part: an owner's manual! I did a search here and found much helpful discussion by Fred, Les, and others, including a reference that the little black, thin, tool with two oval holes in it which bewildered me at first seems to be used to load sheet film into the rack. But how?

Also, Les mentioned the holes and pins on the Yankee daylight tank--my tank came with four pins, too. Les said a while back: "... the rails of basket had a hole in the upper right and left corner and came with two long brass pins. The clear top was to help with processing Ektachrome using the E-4 process where you re-exposed the partially processed film. The holes and pins was to fasten the thinner transparency (and packfilm) in place."

My other question is this: do I use the pins for B&W (Plus-X, Tri-X, PanF, etc.) developing? Or just tuck them away in a safe place until I get adventurous enough to do color processing?

Thanks in advance,
Micah in NC
TimKean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Yankee new and didn't get any pins, so I would assume that you don't need them for standard B&W processing. As far as the tool, I will take a stab at describing it for you. There are jagged "teeth" on the top of the rack and corresponding "teeth" on the underside of the loading tool. I always start at the outside, setting the tool on the top of the rack, with the teeth engaged. Load the first sheet by slipping it through the slot in the tool, then move the tool forward one notch and repeat. HTH.
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Thanks for the reply! After reading your post, I think it's beginning to dawn on me about how to use the loading tool--but a photo wouldn't hurt.

Anyone have an owner's manual they could scan? Seen a manual for the tank online anywhere?

Thanks,
Micah in NC

[ This Message was edited by: Micah in NC on 2004-02-06 06:45 ]
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micah, I have a manual for this tank. I think it is the right one. I have the square tank with the adjustable rack to hold 2X3 up to 4X5. Right now, I can't scan it, though because my computer's monitor went up in smoke this morning. It will probably be a couple of weeks before that is back in business. In the meantime, try loading it with a scrap sheet. It's really basic. Set the loader (which is actually just a guide) on the side of the rack with the notches. As you load, you just move the guide one notch (by feel, in the dark) and insert the next sheet, etc. Six sheets (max) on each side of the center post, emulsion facing in. Put the top on and it's light tight. You can then proceed in daylight. Agitate gently only in the direction indicated on the tank. To change solutions, just pour out of the elongated (?) corner and refill through the hole in the top. Be sure you hold the top in place while pouring. It will fall off. If your tank is what I think it is, this should get you going. If you still have problems, we'll try again. Oh, by the way, only wash the thing in cold water. The rack will warp in hot.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

Wow! I think I get it now...I'm at work just at the moment and my tank is at home, but I think I can visualize it now. I have a couple old sheets of film to practice with, so I'll give 'er a try soon! (Hope you get a new monitor soon.)

Thanks everybody!

--Micah in NC
Micah in NC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, folks,

Just a quick update here: I emailed Doran about the Yankee Agitank and they very kindly sent me a manual. It arrived in my mailbox today!

I will hopefully scan the instructions soon and can upload them to my website for anyone who might need them. (My site is not camera-related, but deals with my other passion-- the SAAB 900--so I won't post a link here yet until it has on-topic content).

Thanks,
Micah in NC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: