Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schneider Super Angulon on a Crown Graphic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dheffner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being offerred an Ilex 90 mm F8 lens with a Copal No. 0 shutter at a very reasonable price. This lens is basically the same as the Schnieder Super Angulon. I'm assuming it will fit and cover on my Crown Graphic without a recessed lensboard, but can anyone tell me quickly and with certainty? Thanks
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 90mm Super Angulon will cover 5x7 stopped down, it will cover the movements of a Crown and then some. In fact a non-Super will cover the movements of a Crown, as I've done many times.

The regular Angulon is about the same size as a 127 ektar in that the glass is contained in the shutter--no large chunks of glass.

The SA on the other hand does have some hefty pieces of glass on either side of the shutter.
This may pose to mechanical/physical problems.

1. the rear cell (back of lens) is too large to put through the front standard.

2. The front cell is too large to allow the camera to close.

Number 1 can be overcome by removing the rear cell and mounting the lens, then remove the ground glass and thread the rear cell on the shutter from the rear. This is doable, but not when you are in a hurry or flustered.

The SA is also a heavy brute. I bought my Non Super Angulon from Midwest Photo for $189.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try the lens on the camera if at all possible, if not get the od dimention of the rear cell and see if it will go through the front standard. Then balance the price of this lens with a lighter model that will do the job for around $200.

One caveat, if you have a view camera, the SA will be of a greater value since the view camera can use more of the lenses image circle.
dheffner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Not closing the Crown up with thelens isn't a problem, but if the rear element has to be threaded from the back after removing the ground glass because it won't fit through the front standard--forget it! Thanks again
al7jj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...if the rear element has to be threaded from the back after removing the ground glass because it won't fit through the front standard--forget it! Thanks again
[/quote]

Not a problem -- my 90mm SA will even fit on a 2x3 Crown without rethreading
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: