Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hard case for GV II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got GV II (what a nice little camera!)and it included a fitted hard case. Unlike the other gray vulcanoid cases I have for my press cameras, this one appears to be black leatherette covered wood. The interior is lined in purple/maroon velvet, and is clearly made to fit the camera. It is a very good case. While I suspect that it is an aftermarket case, does anyone know if Graflex offered such a case during the lengthly production run for this model, or did they only offer the vulcanoid case?
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right off, I'll say that I don't know

Through all my searching, I have never seen a Graflex case that wasn't the standard vulcanoid type. With one possible exception.

This past week (I believe) there was a GVII for auction that came in a case that sounds like yours. It was stated as a military case. There's a possibility? There were also a whole lot of other companies making cases.

One clue as far as I've seen though. If the case in 14inches or better in height, so you can put the camera in with the tripod mount still on the camera, and a little pad underneath the top to touch the mount, it may be a Graflex. I have yet to find a case that will accept the camera with the mount on. Of course I haven't seen that many cases. But it took me over a year of searching to finally case my GVIIs, and one of them wound up being a Toyo (I think) case. Wait a sec here. That Toya case may allow the mount to stay on? I think that's why I kept it? I'd have to check and it's packed away right now. But I'm pretty sure the Toya case did allow the mount to stay on. It's a bit larger than the vulcanoid case, but not as well made. A more modern plastic...

Anyway, I'm sure someone else here would know better and hopefully they'll tell us. If your case is a Graflex, I'd sure love to find one

disemjg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My case does not permit the storage of the camera with the tripod mount installed, which to some extent suggests its being an aftermarket item. From the GV II instruction manual, they describe the case as taking the camera with the mount installed. They also describe it as being compartmented to take accessories, the same way the gray cses for the Pacemakers are. My case really only has the partitions to support the camera, although it does have an area in the right hand pocket that is blocked to provide a smaller area for some unknown purpose. A nice case in any event, and I am glad to have it. As a point of interest, I have several of the vulcanoid cases for the Pacemakers. One of them is clearly different; while it is vulcanoid, it has an aluminum edge on the lid and bottom, and the internal partitioning is different but extensive. The fittings seem cheaper. I think it is a late production case, where they were trying to cut costs or had gone to a different subcontractor to produce the cases. I sent a photo to Fred Lustig, and he also thought it may be a late Graflex case but was not sure.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that case is for the Super Graphic.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-26 18:12 ]
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify my previous post.
The case that is similar to the Pacemaker cases, with aluminum edges is probably for the Super Graphic.
On close inspection, you may find it to be a grey plastic, rather than Vulcanoid. I kind of think that material had become a thing of the past by the era of the Super Graphic. Or maybe not????

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: