Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Aronson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a Graflex from my uncle that used to belong to my grandfather. I have no idea what model it is. The lens is a Cooke f/4.5, no.36764. 5 inch series II. On the hood is a plate that say Auto Graflex Curtain Aperture with the tension number table below. Below that is the Folmer & Schwing Division nameplate (Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester NY). It is not in working order, and I very much want to get it fixed. Please advise. Thanks for your help.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is what it says it is..... an "Auto Graflex"

I"m not the expert on the Graflex series of cameras (The Graflex company made two lines of cameras, the SLR Graflex series, and the rangefinder press type Graphic cameras) but I'll give it a shot...

They made three models with the words "Auto Graflex" There was an Auto Graflex Jr., and RB Auto Graflex and the earliest, just plain Auto Graflex.

From the focal lenght of the lens I'm guessing that this is either a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 or a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 camera. Also the Cooke series II lens was used more in the teens through the 30s
The RB auto was made from '09 to '41. and was made in the 3x4 format. This one has a bed that folds down in front and a lens standard that pulls out.... these parts look very similar to a Speed Graphic.

The "Auto" was made very early 1906-1923. It was made in 3x4 size also. The front of this Graflex has a small door for the lens to look out of while most of the front extends on geared struts while focusing.

The Auto Graflex Junior was made from 1914-24 and only in the 2x3 size. part of the body extends above where the film goes and the lens board is suspended on struts, so the focus knob is mounted high on the left side, where the "Auto" the focus knob is mounted low on the left side.

I hope that helps. If you can pick up a copy of "A Review of Graflex" by Richard Paine it will show photos.

I'm not sure where to tell you to take it to have repaired other than fellow helpboardmember Bert Saunders.

Les

John Aronson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help and the great information. I will contact Bert Saunders about repairs. Any recommendations on finding 3x4 film?
Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link will get you to the cheapest source of 3x4 film.
[url]jandcphotography.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JP&Category_Code=Other+Sheet[/url]

Another source is Film for Classics

http://www.filmforclassics.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: