Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using a spot meter as an incident meter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but curiosity got me to test this...

You can use any spot meter as an incident meter by simply placing the "Lumisphere" dome from a Sekonic L-398M meter in front of the lens of the spot meter!

I have tested this with all kinds of lighting conditions and it works great. Since it's almost impossible to judge reading from different meters, I have compared the results between an L-398M, L-718 and Luna-Pro F meters. The results were all withing a 1/3 stop.

The easy way to mount the dome would be to get a lens cap for the spot meter and make a hole in it to accomodate the dome. Or you could use the cardboard sheet that the dome comes mounted on when new and make a lens cap from more card stock using glue and/or tape.

Once mounted in front of the lens, the meter works as any standard incident meter. And no, you can't see anything through the spot meter this way, except grey...

Just thought some other people could use this info as I like to get both spot and indident reading and sometimes it's just a pain to use two meters...

One other note. None of the other dome/spheres I have will work. They're all too dark. Only the "Lumisphere" from the Sekonic 398 will work as far as I know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: